Big Bad Evil Guy
The Big Bad Evil Guy, typically shortened simply to BBEG, is roleplaying gamer slang for the primary antagonist of an adventure or campaign. He is the one ultimately responsible for whatever shit his associates or minions do, and defeating him usually means the successful conclusion of a campaign (or at least a part of it). To ensure that this is sufficiently dramatic, DMs often make the BBEG a powerful character, making this final encounter something of a boss fight. The BBEGs seem to know this is coming, so they will usually construct a suitably impressive lair for the suitably dramatic confrontation to take place in.
Many of these fantasy villains often like to address themselves as 'The Dark Lord' or add 'Dark Lord' before their name, just in case you goblin-fondling peasants weren't paying attention to who they are.
Hilariously though the sheer incompetence of some of these big bads is at times a beauty to behold, as their over-arrogant natures, the stupidity of their minions, or luck and/or skill on the part of their opposition means their plans fall apart dramatically. For example Harry Potter, despite being a teen and knowing as much magic as a mouse for most of the series, time and time again foiled Voldemort's plans. Despite having control of one of the key factions in 40k, Abaddon has failed to get anything done in 10,000 years (the fact that Abbadon hasn't been killed or overthrown yet is Games Workshop won't let the story go in that direction). And yet how do they get with so much failure when they would have roasted their henchmen alive if they had done the same? Simple; if you dare to mention it to their face about their joy-to-watch failures, YOU will be roasting on a fire!
In most video games the BBEG is usually the final villain which you and maybe a couple of hanger-ons have to defeat to win the game. Whether it will be a hard fight or not depends how merciless the game designers are feeling.
Paladins are automatically required to attempt to offer the BBEG mercy, even if they have happily slaughtered hundreds of relatively much less evil minions without a second thought or offer of surrender on their way to the BBEG's lair.
Requirements to become a BBEG
1. Kill a lot of innocents (unimaginative, but kind of a must-do on the list; a tradition).
2. Make big grandiose plans that also include big holes in them, just enough for someone to mess up if needs be.
3. Surround yourself with minions and right-hand men. Your evil metre goes higher the more bodies you can pile up there.
4. Have a characteristic to define you from the masses, like a menacing eye (Sauron), the ability to shoot lightning from your hands (Sidious) or an embarrassing track record of failure no-one can mistake (Abaddon).
5. Perfect evil laugh and twisted sense of humour.
6. Have a super bad-ass evil lair.
7. Don't melt into goodness at the sight of baskets of kittens or puppies.
8. Pretend you don't have any possible mental problems even if they are there.
9. Beat up anyone that even looks like competition.
10. Be a dick to everyone, even your own side (tough love).
11. IMPORTANT: Do something memorable. It is not enough to just do all of the above, you need to really do something unique to stand out from your peers. Sidious masterminded the complete destruction of the Jedi and the rise of the Sith to masters of the Galaxy. Sauron helped fuck up his world and make a lasting legacy of evil by creating so many evil races. Vect established the single most unpleasant city realm in the galaxy and allowed the Dark Eldar to flourish as a people. What will YOU do to get your enemies quaking in jealously and respect?
The Big Bad Evil Guy Hall of Infamy
An honour bestowed only to the most truly deserving head honchos of villainkind, not just any hireling with ideas above their station can get here!
- Sauron (Lord of the Rings): The dude who originally created the term 'Dark Lord' in modern high fantasy and was willing to get stuck into the action himself too. Pretty much an undead fallen angel who wants to bring order by tyrannically ruling Middle-Earth. Once the good angels ended up destroying a continent to stop him but all they did was thwart his current plan of the moment.
- Archaon (Warhammer Fantasy): Elected bro for life of the Chaos Gods and doer of getting shit done, Failbaddon lives in constant terror of Archaon getting fed up and coming to kick him out of existence
- Darth Sidious (Star Wars): Creepy old freak who single-mindedly engineered the complete destruction of the Jedi Order and turned the galaxy on its head so he could rule it as a tyrant (and maintain the massive military industrial complex necessary to combat the Yuuzahn Vong upon their inevitable arrival into galaxy... much like another famous Emperor. Unfortunately not everything transpired according to his design). His favourite trick was using his force lightning to make toast (always too overdone).
- Asdrubael Vect (Warhammer 40k): More dangerous then Failbaddon could ever be even in his dreams, Vect passes the time causing countless millions to be tortured, just for his bored amusement. Master of dick moves and getting others to get others to do his dirty work. The only thing keeping him from conquering the galaxy is Games Workshop's refusal to let the plot of 40K go in that direction.
- The Timeless One (Halo): AKA The Flood and The Gravemind, came from a race of nigh-omniscient Eldritch Abominations called the Precursors that came before the Universe was born. Single-handedly destroyed an interstellar Culture-level Civilisation, the Forerunners, for insane sobbing cynical vengeant shits and giggles after it led a genocide against the Precursors, their peaceful creators now gone insane with the God equivalent of ptsd, all because the Precursors thought humans were less stuck up than Forerunners (you would think Halo would have less Grimdark than 40k in the shit that started it all story) and is now coming back in the form of a horrifying fusion of The Thing, Tyranids, Alien, and X-Parasite; so that he can force every single living thing in the Universe to "join" him in a very fucked up version of Communism, via OM NOM NOMING their bodies and souls in eternal torment and pain. This Flood also acts as a computer virus in later stages, and The Gravemind's ultimate plan is to wipe the galaxy clean and start over, having gone way past over-the top friendly fire several hundred thousand years late vengeance, when everyone responsible is already dead. The most perfectionist of the lot.
- Dracula (Castlevania): Was the big bad in the majority of the Castlevania games (Subverted for the two recent games), how bad is he? Well....when even Death considers him as "Boss", then it should tell you the power differences here in pure EVIL.
- Voldemort (Harry Potter): The big bad evil wizard of the HP setting Voldemort spent most of the series as an evil spirit before coming back in a body made from a mixture in a cauldron (as you do). Countless times he failed to kill the boy who lived and twice he failed to take over the wizarding world, making one wonder about his track record.
- Jadis, the White Witch (The chronicles of Narnia): The white bitch likes to freeze everything and turn you to stone at the drop of a hat if you displease her. She froze Narnia to be her perfect place but was kicked out by a gang of motley kids and their pet cat. Since then she has been hiding on Earth under the guise of Sarah Palin (you thought the love of cold weather and evil politics was just coincidence did you??)
- Discord (My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic): Despite the hate for a certain show about colored horses most people, even neckbeards, take off their hat to one of the villains, the embodiment of chaos, Discord. Think Q from Star Trek (he is even voiced by the same actor) except while Q was kept in check by some higher ups and only really wanted to have fun, Discord was a schemer who planned to turn the world into his chaotic playground warping the landscape and minds of it citizens. Think Alice in wonderland on crack. Was turned good in a semi-cheesy way but even then he spends most of his time fucking with people.
- Nagash The greatest threat to the Warhammer world outside of the Chaos Gods, he even plans to supplant them.
- Malekith (Warhammer Fantasy): The Witch King and Lord of the Druchii, Malekith is (or was) one of the less pompous of the Big Bads of Fantasy - On his throne in the center of his evil and cold domain of Naggaroth, Malekith could see the entirety of the world, no matter where it was, but his eyes were fixed at one point - Ulthuan and the throne of the Phoenix King, which he will always strive towards. After 6000 years of civil war, started after his mother Morathi fucked up his coronation, the End Times reveals something incredible and unheard of among Bad Guys - He was the good guy! Or, the gods had decided that their test was passed and, after retaking Ulthuan and killing Tyrion, who was possesed by the Widowmaker, Malekith was chosen as the Phoenix King. Now the leader of his race, he is the only one who can asure the survival of the entirety of the elven race...
- Matt Ward (Games Workshop): Dark Lord of Fluff Rape and Codex destruction, his plan to unleash his hordes of ultramarine servants to take over the galaxy in a wave of blue and to subject the grey knights to eternal ass rape. He's also managed to defeat the C'tan and take control of the Necrons to aid his blue-clad minions. Few, if any are as diabolic as this man! In fact, he was so much of an evil mastermind that none of his plans were ever really challenged, and so he quit his goddamn job. As in, literally. The Throne of Defilement of Fluff and Crunch is now vacant.
See you in a few years!