||"Knowledge is power. Guard it well."
|Thousand Sons Unknown
||Unknown (possibly Magnus the Red)
||Not that many after Cyrene, Kaurava, and Kyras; less than 600
||Psykers, collecting "lost" relics, plot armor
||Imperium of Man
||Red, bone white pauldrons
The Bluhd Rehvehns are one of the better-known background Chapters, primarily from starring in the Dawn of War series. They have waaaaaaaay too many psykers and are obsessed over
stealing finding lost relics, mostly because they don't know anything about their history; they have no records dating before the Age of Apostasy. This has led some to theorize that they are actually loyalist descendants of the Thousand Sons, which, according to recent fluff, may be canon.
Indrick Baldeale, a Blud Rehvens Captain: Teh greahtehst hero of teh chaphter and mastur of STEEL REHN.
The Blud Rehvens Chapter is primarily famous for starring in the Dawn of War video game series. Although they existed beforehand (with an Index Astartes article, even!), they were incredibly minor and ignored. The same would still be true if Dawn of War hadn't spawned dozens of memes.
Perhaps the most famous example is the voice acting of the good Captain Indrick Boreale, which is the origin of the terms Empra and Spehss mahreens. They are also infamous on /tg/ for losing half their chapter in a single campaign, also thanks to Brother-Captain Boreale, who refused to fuck off when Vance Motherfucking Stubbs arrived. Davian Thule had the same thing happen when he refused orders to fuck off from Governer-Militant Lukas Alexander; unlike the case for Boreale, however, Thule actually won.
The Blood Ravens are also famous for stealing a ton of shit, discussed in greater depth below.
The only interesting thing about their history is the possibility that they are descendants of a
NERD! Thousand Sons schism cult. The short story "Rebirth" in Age of Darkness shows what might be the foundation of the Chapter, as hinted before in A Thousand Sons. That story shows that the Corvidae (read: the family of Bird species which the Raven is a part of) Fellowship of the Legion was sent away by Magnus during the Burning of Prospero. The leader of this Fellowship has a name very similar to Azariah Vidya, the legendary hero of the Blud Rehvens, and he utters "Knowledge is Power, Guard It Well," the motto of the Blood Ravens. Additionally, they have an unusually high number of unusually powerful psykers, with two full squads of Librarians in the First Company and many Chapter Master/Librarian combos. Finally, their obsession with lost knowledge and mystic relics mirrors the Thousand Sons pre-Heresy.. Hell, even their color scheme is suspiciously close to the one used by the pre-Heresy Thousand Sons. Also, if you want to read way too much into it, it should be noted that almost every other Traitor Legion has known, named Loyalist members, most of whom aided Malcador with the creation of the Inquisition... except the Thousand Sons.
Unfortunately, since GW is reluctant to expand their never progressing storyline, we may never know if this is true. For a time, there was a rumor of a Blood Ravens Codex produced by Games Workshop, which would probably expand on the theory. However, given the large number of Space Marine codexes that already hog the attention of GW, and the fact that they would probably be overpowered as fuck (imagine two squads of ten Librarians each in Terminator armor with storm shields and thunder hammers, with each of them manifesting his own powers), the rumors quietly died and don't look like they're going anywhere fast.
The Blud Rehvens have two known mutations in their geneseed. The first (canonical) one is with their Catalepsean Node, which grants them perfect memory but they can't R.E.M sleep, forcing them to sleep while awake, basically. The second (fan-based) one is with their Betcher's Gland, which changes their voice tone every few years. Such an example is Gabriel Angelos whose voice changes between DoW II and its expansion Chaos Rising.
They are also notable for having a Librarian Chapter Master who dedicates himself to Khorne. LOLWUT?
They are outright stated to be destroyed as a Chapter in the Tyranid and Chaos endings of Retribution (Due to Omnomnomage and Daemon Prince related issues) and they probably also die as a chapter in the Ork Campaign after Bluddflagg loots the entire Subsector and jacks a MOTHER FUCKING SPACE HULK. They are probably crippled beyond all recovery in the Eldar and Imperial Guard endings too, so the only ending where they survive is the Space Marine one. And they did survive, since Blood Ravens appearing in the Space Marine game mention the
Aurelian Crusade We just checked; Aurelian Crusade just means the first game and we don't know when Space Marine happened. It is likely set after Chaos Rising and Retribution, however (Or not, seeing as the Space Marine game isn't canon). The Blood Ravens new motto under Gabriel Angelos was "None Shall Find Us Wanting", which is the saying they use in Space Marine, unlike their old "Knowledge is Power" schtick. And White Dwarf 305 (UK) mentions Gabe as their Chapter Master, further confirming SM ending, though WD has been shit wrong many times. Knowing Games Workshop, though, Eliphas is probably still alive. Probably a daemon prince, too. Because screw coherency! he can solo fucking Land-Raiders.
Worth to mention Blood Ravens also was in fluff long before DoW, but there was exactly one mention of them - in Medusa V campaign Sororitas forces accused them in collaborating with Eldar (to kill their common enemies), and demanded Emperor justice on their heads. Blood Ravens on their hand didn't give a single shit about what that crazed nuns thought, and proceed pwning chaos marines, crons and nids with the help of their Eldar bro's.
 The Hats
The dust settled and the Ork horde lay dead at her feet. But with such a victory came sacrifice. The good General lay dead, his final words asking "Who wants to live FOREVEEER?"(Seeing as he's Freddie Fuckin Mercury in Space) with a wry smile on his face. The Imperial Guard had either died or retreated when the Commissar Lord fell in battle. But it did not matter, her hat and her popped collar would hide any tears that she may have shed for them.
And then suddenly, there was a thumping. It couldn't be! She had bombed the area! She had drowned the orks in the bodies of the devoted guardsmen! She had evaporated the green tide with faith and fire! And yet... he still stomped through the ashes.
"ALRITE YA SQUISHY! I WANTZ DAT HAT!". He was as determined as he was arrogant, but even with his stubbornness, she could see something change in his face. Confusion had entered his small little brain. Perhaps it was because he was shocked that naught but a "pitiful" human could stand tall against the full force of a WAAAGGHHH. What was more amusing that the Warboss had lost his patented pirate hat. She reached for her own hat, to tip it in torment at the Ork's incompetence... only to find nothing but hair in it's place. "WHERE IZ IT!? WHERE'Z DA HAT?!" the Ork roared in fury before noticing his own unprotected head. Shock turned to anger as both reached the same conclusion.
"DIOMEDES!" She screamed in unison to the Ork's own war-cries for "DEM'Z BLUDY MAGPIES HEADZ!" The eternal war made for some strange alliances, but none as strange as the Inquisitor and Warboss hunting down the Thieves of Thieves in retribution for their loss.
Diomedes sat with his new pirate hat. He thought it fitting for his position in a chapter as renowned as his for "acquiring" gifts.
"We Shahl Coll this maneuvah Stehl Stehl!" The Ancient remarked as he disregarded his tattered old helmet for the Witch Hunter's headpiece.
 Famous Blud Rehvens
Captain Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos - Original Badass and current Chapter Master of the Blod Rehvens, well only in the SM ending any way, he dies in every other ending. He is the first Blood Ravens Chapter Master in recorded history to not also be the Chief Librarian, probably because they finally realized that having a Chief Librarian/Chapter Master is a bad idea. (That idea stems from Chief Librarian Azariah Vidya ( get it? cuz they are in a vidya gaem? I will fucking end you, I swear to the God-Emperor.), who led the chapter soon after their founding in a campaign against Alpha Legion, who have slain their Chapter Master, most of the 1st Company and most of their command structure beforehand. Vidya used some kind of Tactical Genius, plus his already large experience battling Chaos forces, to "understand" his enemy and perfectly guess where his Rehvens need to strike, essentially finding the "I WIN" button for that campaign). (Vidya was actually 'Arvida' a Corvidae, or seer, in the Thousand Sons Legion)
- Isador Akios - Gabe's Librarian buddy. Was successfully tempted by Sindri Myr into betraying the Blood Ravens, and was eventually killed by Gabe himself for heresy.
- Captain Davian Thule - The only force commander to get 2 sexy voices in both games he appears in.....well that was until he got ripped by a Tyranid Warrior and interred into a Dreadnought, where he sounds just as scary as the next Dread. Gets buttfucked by Eliphas in the first Chaos mission in Retribution. Way to punch the players Relic....We like to pretend that the Venerable Dreadnought honor guard in Retribution is Davian Thule to soothe the deep emotional trauma caused by killing him.
Also, the Sphess Mehreens campaign is canon now, so he's got to be alive and kicking atm. WD has been incorrect many times and Aurelian Crusade refers specifically to the events of vDoW II. Still is said that he and the 4th company fought during the 13th Black Crusade.
- Captain Indrick Baldeale - A master of STEEL REHN. He is quite dead at the moment. Unlike Davian, though, nobody is in the least broken up about him. He has a daughter.
- Force Commander Hair Gel - Though he is given the name Aramus in the novel, the game and the novels contradict each other so we'll never know what is what. Usually called Force Commander Vanilla Ice for his hair-esy, he's also the youngest Blood Raven Force Commander evar. In Retribution, he's mentioned in the "Hammer of the Nameless" wargear, and noted that he went balls-to-the-wall insane and disappeared after being declared a renegade by Kyras. So it is slightly possible that Vanilla Ice might return in the series one day since it's never implied that he was executed by Gabe or defected to the Black Legion.
- Avitus - A Devastator Sergeant, who's so angry that he hates everything. Is an all around badass who can fire plasma cannons and heavy bolters without needing to set up. Has the same voice as the unknown heretic in Chaos Rising. Was actually the heretic in the player's squad during Chaos Rising, as if him being fucking angry all the time wasn't enough of a dead-giveaway, and was killed by Tarkus later on.
- Cyrus/Spike Spiegel - A Scout Sergeant, who's so grimdark that he hates everything. He's also voiced by Steve Blum, which makes him awesome. Cyrus literally hates everything, short of the Emprah, and he constantly bitches how fucked up everything is during every briefing. The whole "Spike Speigel" name comes from one of his VA's famous characters from the animu: Cowboy Bebop.
- Jonah Orion - Gabe's new Librarian buddy after Isador got executed on Tartarus. He played a rousing game of mindfuck with the Tyranid Hivemind to allow Angelos' fleet to enter the system during the first DoWII, he won in the end, the only remaining sane & alive Librarian on Gabe's ship. And he becomes playable in Chaos Rising. Died in all endings of Retribution at the hands of DOM-Kyras as Relic likes to keep up with the tradition that the black guy has a 99% chance of being killed in the end in vidya gaems. He's also the first confirmed negro Space Marine who isn't from the Salamanders, which is kind of unique. Well, there was also that one Black Templars guy in Damnation Crusade.
- Martellus - A techmarine voiced by Steve Blum. His job is to inform you of bad news all the time while chilling on the strike cruiser. Survived getting his Thunderhawk shot down and stranded on Typhon for months, canonically wasn't the traitor in the chapter, and became a playable character in DoWII Retribution. If he becomes a traitor due to the player's use of artifacts, he will attack you in a Chaos Predator, fucking your shit up. (Despite not being the canonical traitor, he is nonetheless selected as the default traitor if no corrupting artifacts are used.)
- Tarkus - A Tactical squad Sergeant, who is bald and also the Ancient in Retribution. Noted for being surprisingly kind-hearted and dutiful for a Marine, Tarkus ever takes the role of a mentor and is a strict adherent to the Codex Astartes. Unusual in that if he falls to Chaos through artifacts, he does so with the express intention of using the daemonic weaponry to butt-fuck the Black Legion and Eliphas and bring Kyras to justice by his own hands. If turned to Chaos, he attacks with a Kai Gun, an ancient possessed bolter that fucks things up with bolts of warpfire.
- Thaddeus - An Assault Marine Sergeant, the youngest and least grimdark of the gang. Is also a hair-etic and unsurprisingly joined Force Commander Hair Gel on his heresy during Chaos Rising.
- Apothecary Gordian - the man responsible for bringing Davian Thule back from the brink of death and overseeing his internment in a dreadnought. It's a pity that he gets virtually no screentime and gets killed when the Tyranids destroy your strike cruiser.
- Captain Apollo Diomedes- Captain of the veteran First Company. He used to be a helmet-wearing jerkass of awesomeness until Retribution, where he is revealed to be bald. As such, this fa/tg/uy dubs him Abaldo Diomedes. Looks suspiciously like Indrick Boreale... "BRRUUUVAA I AM HITTT!" "IT IS DE BEEEIHNNNNBLEEEEHD!"
- Azariah Kyras - A Space Marine Librarian who falls to Chaos and dedicates himself to Khorne. Was also Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens up until Retribution. Has a kickass VA. He looks like he hasn't slept since the time of the Ancient Sumerians, Jesus look at those eye rings, someone give this man a tempurpedic and some clonodine. He also happens to be one of the few psykers of Khorne in the history of 40k (apparently good enough to be granted daemonhood on top of all that too).
- Apothecary Galan - A traitor apothecary with a great voice, possessed by a daemon of Nurgle, trying to corrupt Apollo Diomedes. Was part of the expedition that found Kyras aboard the Judgement of Carrion. Notable for bucking the "apothecaries aren't badass" trend by carrying a chainsword that hits like a power weapon and having a bodyguard of assault terminators. If killed, gives you information that saves Diomedes's life.
- Scout Sergeant Priam - Got all his scouts kidnapped by a Sorcerer on Calderis, with the rest of them holed up in shitty clay structures against Chaos Dreadnoughts, havocs, and missile-carrying plague marines. Suffice to say, if Hairgel doesn't deploy every shred of tactical genius he has, everyone gets proper fucked.
Lysandros MEHTULBAWKSES- shows up on Calderis to destroy a town in the ass end of nowhere on orders of Kyras. Notable for being the eternal nemesis of Firaeveus Carron by spamming not just Rhinos, but Razorbacks. Also tells Diomedes to fuck off and stop being a buzzkilling asshole.
- Unnamed Traitor- Shows up in the later stages of Retribution, becoming the greatest exemplar of the thieving might of the chapter by stealing a Land Raider Crusader from the Blood Ravens themselves. Is also a teamkilling fucktard who fires his guns into masses of cultists worshiping Khorne.
- Squad Corvus Marines - Shows up in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine during the Chaos Invasion. Noticing a group of Black Templars traveling to join the Liberation Fleet heading for Forge World Graia, Squad Corvus attached themselves to the strike force in order to "acquire" more gifts for the chapter (Specifically, more Titans.). They show up during the Chaos invasion and kick major ass, despite there being only like four of them. Just goes to show how fucking strong Blood Raven plot armor is...or how strong their dedication to "acquire" relics for their chapter is.
 The Lazy Fuckwits of 4th Company
The Blood Ravens 4th Company is recognized as the laziest sons of bitches in the entire goddamn sector. For all of Dawn of War 2, these bastards sit around on Calderis, and only show up when Davian Thule gets KO'd by a Tyranid Warrior. Their battle strategy basically involves "let the Force Commander do all the work". So only about twenty marines and the rest of the Blood Raven scouts actually do shit, while the rest of the fat bastards sit around on Calderis getting chewed up by gribblies. Where the fuck are they when the FC needs them!? Probably "discovering and obtaining" more artifacts.
FC never actually needs them on the battlefield though, he or Cool Dreadnought alone are perfectly capable of blasting the stuffing from Cannon Fodder, Tyrants and Fatty Daemon Princess, if they are properly equipped and employing hit-run-cheat-hit tactic. Friendly Cannon Fodder useless in hard battles anyway. Better let them loot friends and foes.
 Bloody Magpies
The Blood Ravens "acquiring" a master-crafted artillery shell from a Forgeworld. The next day, the Magos simply said: "THEY TOOK WHAT?!"
after hearing the report that their entire artillery battery was reported missing.
Don't bother, they'll just "acquire" the bolts too.
Blood Ravens are also known to steal artifacts, relics and practically everything else that isn't bolted down (didn't stop them from stealing from dreadnoughts, however) due to the fact they are not an official chapter and must make do with what they find. The chapter has battlegear from (includes but are not limited to) Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Imperial Fists, Salamanders, Dark Angels, Iron Snakes, Blood Angels, Black Templars, Iron Hands, hell even from the Custodes (Don't forget the Grey Knights! Even though nobody knows they exist, except the entirety of the Space Wolves).
In addition, they are always on the move, are notorious for stealing things, the chapter has no knowledge who their genetic father is, and practically nobody likes them, implying that they are basically the space gypsies to the Space Wolves' space Vikings. This makes further sense when you consider that "Gypsies" is derived from "Egyptian", and the Thousand Sons are Egyptian themed.
In Dawn of War II, the Blood Ravens have numerous opportunities to receive Wargear for their use. Strangely, a good number of them are obtained through vague circumstances, either implying that they were salvaged from the dead who aren't Blood Ravens or downright stolen from marine chapters and other Imperial organizations. How they got away with it is something only the Emperor would know. Seeing as they've jacked at least one bolter and suit of power armor from the fucking Custodes, the Emperor probably is the only one with a hope of knowing.
So where will this end?
I don't know...But I'm pretty sure they are a textbook case of Mass Kleptomania.
Of course, will you question the Omnissiah and the Machine Cult when it comes to handling artifacts?
Also known as the Bloody Magpies.
When the Bloody Magpies were victimizing the Blood Angels, they didn't just settle for the Pistol of Baal.
Weight on the word "discovered".
This is primarily because the Doom Eagles didn't think to look at their own Chapter armory.
Even the Inquisition is not safe.
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU STEAL CUSTODES EQUIPMENT?!
Even the lost and dead are not safe.
Even the ruinous powers are not safe.
When we said Chaos wasn't safe, we weren't kidding.
Techmarines from different chapters swear to the Emperor that they've seen this before in another chapter's armory.
The Novamarines were puzzled to see the Terminator armor gone from their honored battle brother's body after he fell against the Tau... 30 seconds later when they glanced aside.
Curiously, the Techpriests of Mars refused to recruit any more potential Techmarines from the Blood Ravens after Martellus' release.
This really puts the achievements of all other chapters to shame.
Not even the Primarchs are safe.
Abaddon's weapon is pretty cool too, I guess.
If you steal, might as well do it from the best.
And neither are his other beloved Special Snowflakes.(at least they partly admit they stole this one)
 Fanboy Ravens
The Blod Rehvens have also been known for their excessively fangirl-esque behavior, including forging weapons for other chapters and declaring them relics after the receiving chapter rejected them, and naming wargear after off-hand comments by famous chapters, though by now they themselves are a very famous chapter.
Alternatively, they may just enjoy trolling the hell out of other chapters. For a chapter that gives all of zero fucks about slaughtering the Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard, it could really go either way. Either this, or Relic are massive trolls themselves and all of the Space Gypsy stuff is just as planned.
An alternative alternative is that Tzeentch is actually seeing how much he has to piss off other chapters in the Blood Ravens name in order to get them to turn completely traitor. He may even be pretending to be Khorne, since that's the only god anyone is apparently willing to worship anymore. Hey, its better than being completely forgotten like a certain Slaanesh...
A third alternative is that, given how much relics they
steal acquire, they may be trying to come to good terms with other chapters. Hell, it's entirely possible that its stuff they got, then add a bit of makeup and "offer back" knowing that it'll be rejected. That or, since what they make themselves always gets laughed at and refused, they use these as excuses to get more stuff from other chapters.
Ragnar Blackmane was suppose to be given a Power Axe by the Blood Raven artificers. He told them to screw off.
Probably lost his wolf mantle afterwards too
The Space Wolves can't resist trolling the Blood Ravens.