Chapter Master (game)
D U K E R O C K S
Chapter Master: A Chapter Management Simulation is a game, formerly one of countless troll-games made up by /tg/ on lonely nights full of wishful thinking. It might have been the greatest shit that /tg/ has ever done- if it weren't for the fact that coding a game is too hard and time-consuming for 99.9℅ of all fa/tg/uys. But then a temporary tripfag named Duke proved the impossible possible, and made the game a reality, before vanishing back into the Warp as an anon.
Chapter Master's premise is that you are the Master of some random Space Marine chapter. It's your job to take care of your chapter and the sector it's in, and lead them to victory! Or, y'know, get raped by the Inquisition/Orks/Tau/Eldar/Tyranids/Chaos, which happens far too often.
- 1 Key Links for the Alpha
- 2 The Story So Far
- 3 The (Actual) Story So Far, a Tale of Truthfulness and Fact
- 4 Factions and Enemies in Chapter Master
- 5 External Links
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See also
Key Links for the Alpha
- The Alpha. (for windows) Note that this will always be updated to the latest version.
- A list of names that /tg/ contributed to several factions
- IRC Channel (in the "channels" slot, look for "#chaptermaster")
- The FAQ's. Read them.
- Manual: To the right.
- Patch Notes. Finally.
- Duke's Patreon
WARNING:Not reading the manual and FAQ's will likely have the thread laughing at your idiocy. READ THEM AND SPARE YOURSELF THE HUMILIATION.
The Story So Far
And lo, OP did create a thread in which he complained about the Inquisitorial AI in Chapter Master. And /tg/ did jump on the idea, posting many a greentext about this game. Great tales were told, and OP was said not to be a total fag.
However, the newfag did soon appear, and fun was ruined forever. "LINKZ PLOX" and other such inquiries were had, but only few had the heart to tell the newfag that no such game existed. But soon, a light was found! By the second thread, interest had reached fever pitch, and /tg/ did set out to do what it did best...
As of October 8th, 2011, anons gathered in various threads to share ideas and possible situations this game should have. A brave few with coding knowledge and creative skill have taken the mantle of creating this future masterpiece.
Many Anons have shed their anonymity and joined the Chapter Master IRC Channel to Get Shit Done. In the timespan of only a few hours, they doth procured many a feature.
A drawfag named Bladebaka has gifted us with a start to the Game Over screen. While not perfect, it does show the ever-popular "Yourchapterhascrumbled.jpg" meme from many a greentext.
Pauldron Guy had also shown great foresight and started crafting sprites for future versions, as the initial release would likely have been ASCII, and did some writefagging.
InquisitorFrollo became the devils' advocate for many an idea spawned in this glorious endeavor, and were it done, would have been rewarded upon its completion.
Come December, vbcoder and Carl_theBearded had created many a feature, and NoiselessMarine came to the IRC with a great sense of wonder and drive. He crafted a combat system, and vbcoder was inspired to work harder still on Chapter Master, creating a weapon generator and nigh finalizing the rest of the game. Carl became admin of the forum, and much dickfuckery was cleaned up. And it was good.
As of 2013, shit slowed to a crawl and nothing of value was lost. But then 2014 came with words and rumours and images, and on August 9, 2014, the humble tripfag known as Duke finally released the thing thought undoable: The Chapter Master Alpha.
Proof that /tg/ can actually get shit done.
The (Actual) Story So Far, a Tale of Truthfulness and Fact
Broadly speaking, the above was bollocks for a time.
It was writ that one day, Chapter Master might actually be in such a state that it may be called... "a game". Prior efforts enabled anons to craft their own chapter and chart a whole sector for them to play around in, but little else aside from that.
ASCII? Pah! The hopers of old transcended such nonsense: they were in the age of 100% fully 3D graphics comprising of not one, but TWO full dimensions of dimensionfulness. Let's just say that your corneas would have hexagons burned into them permanently after a couple of hours and leave it at that. Your ears would have been delighted by over SEVEN discrete, different, and unique sound effects ranging from beeps, to slightly different beeps. (Note that this is all sarcasm. Especially in wake of the current alpha, which has far more than this.)
However, all was not perfect: The attentions of /tg/ were, as they always have been, fickle. For the most part, people departed at almost the same instant that they claimed "oh yeah, sure I can help do <helpful task>". The old forum had 234 registered users - few of them who actually contributed, and far fewer who had any notable commitment to the whole thing. At the moment, for example, it can be relied upon that there will be 2 or 3 people to be around at some point, ready to contribute.
Every now and then, the good old storythread raised the awareness of the game, and some Anons vowed to Get Shit Done. However, sadly, most will find out that they have no idea to code worth a damn and can't be bothered to learn how to do so.
After multiple broken promises from people claiming to work on it with no actual results for years, /tg/ became resigned to the fact that it may never be created, and the people foolish enough to say that they will succeed when literally everyone else has failed are met with suspicion and doubt at best.
However, recently, an anon started a thread inquiring about it, and lo! he was met with screenshots and after much questioning,it appears that Chapter Master may be soon entering open alpha.
It was the 21st century, August 9 2014, 12:00AM. For years the denizens of /tg/ had languished on the Golden Throne of 4chan.
But no more.
Chapter Master is among us.
The time is nigh, and the Alpha has been released. Although promising, it has much to learn. But I believe, Chapter Master can save /tg/
But to do that, all anons must do one thing:
ALWAYS BET ON DUKE
Tragedies of Practicality
There came a time when Duke was going to drop the project, but Duke's attempts to find a replacement coder didn't go that well. It turns out that the reason he needed to hand it off in the first place was that he ran out of money and needed to actually support himself and not starve. Therefore, a new solution has been proposed:
The more money Duke gets, the more time he can dedicate to the project.
Factions and Enemies in Chapter Master
So far, there are eight factions that you can interact via Diplomacy, and two that you cannot.
Factions that you can interact through Diplomacy
- Imperium: The guys with whom you'll be associated most of the time. The Governors will give some good stuff if you'll be helpful to the systems in the sector (stuff like extra Requisition, Licenses for Crusades and Fleet Repair, extra recruiting worlds) and maintain a high reputation with him. Just don't give him Chaos artefacts (especially Daemonic ones), else Heresy explodes, Chaos Marines will visit you and a world will turn Daemonic.
- Mechanicus: They are the guys that supply you with stuff like Land Raiders, Termie Armours and things like Skiitari, Tech-Priests and minor relics if you have a high enough reputation with them. Also protect Forge Worlds at all cost if you want new stuff from them and new ships for your fleet. Nothing happens if you give them Chaos Artefacts (unless you'll summon Chaos Marines this way).
- Ecclesiarchy: Sisters of Battle in other words. If you'll get high reputation with them, then they'll not only send you their own troops when you buy from them, but in certain situations they'll even build a monastery on your homeworld. The sisters will sell you some really useful wargear. Never give them Chaos or Daemonic (especially the latter one) Artefacts, else your reputation will plummet down.
- Inquisition: They hate you. Even with really high reputation, they'll give you missions that will make you RAGE incoherently. Luckily it's not all of the time they do so. Most of the time they'll ask you if you could look after a relic they'll send you. Other times they'll call to blow up Necron Tomb Worlds that are still dormant or kill a Radical (always take the Relic they offer, and then blow up their ships). If you'll have bad reputation with them, then they'll simply excommunicate you and make your life difficult. Some of the things they give you aren't worth taking, unless those are Crusaders and EXTERMINATUS (the Incinerator is also somewhat good if not only for its bonus against Daemons). They'll massively be disappointed if you trade with Eldar or other Xenos. The only faction that is happy if you give them Chaos Artefacts (especially Daemonic ones).
- Eldar: They hate you too, but are also attracted to you (especially if the Farseer in charge of the Craftworld is female). They'll always mind their own business and will never, ever attack you unless you provoke them. Have some nifty things to sell and will tell you if any of your battle brothers are corrupted or not. Sometimes they'll ask you for some requisition. Word of advice: do it! This way you'll have some peace and quiet. Also don't interact with them too often and only after the Inquisition will make a inspection and overall reputation with the Imperium will drop.
Marginally, but it will dropScratch that. Don't even interact with them if you want to be 100% loyal. Massive trust drop. Their fleet is more powerful than yours.
- Orks: Kill them. KILL THEM WITH FIRE! There is absolutely no reason to negotiate with Orks. Also they'll attack Imperial planets and slaughter citizens. Big pain in the power arse if it's the Forge World next to your home system, or your home system.
- Tau: Just like Orks, Tau shouldn't be negotiated with, they will ruin perfectly functioning Imperial worlds with their Greater Good philosophy and don't give you anything useful. Wipe out the PDF on Imperial worlds they claimed and surgically start purging them. Their fleets are slow and inferior in terms of firepower. The ground forces however are a different matter here...
- Chaos: As if the two above factions weren't already a pain, these guys will instead corrupt worlds and probably turn one into a Daemon World. Start out with small heretical forces, but then jizz into fullblown uprisings, Chaos Fleets popping out of nowhere (preferably near the Forge World that's next to your home system or said home system), and ending with Chaos Marines and Daemons running rampant. No info on what they would offer. To start with, why would anyone even try to talk to them? Unless by talking, one means BOLTER ROUND TO THE FACE.
Factions that you cannot interact with via Diplomacy
- Tyranids: If you thought that Orks, Tau and Chaos are a pain, then you'll hate Tyranids with all your might. Especially if you start a game with some systems already having massive Tyranid infestations. After they'll finish eating the planets they appeared on, they'll create Hive Fleets that will start eating systems after systems. Their fleets are inferior to your own ships, but they make it up with numerical advantages. If there are systems with Nids in them, then purge these systems as fast as possible. Sometimes if you get events like that your psykers detect a "Shadow across the Warp", then muster everything you can throw at them.
- Necrons: Pain in the power arse if you want to get rid of them from a planet. They regain Rampart levels of warriors in a turn, will start slaughtering the planet their tombs are located on and will be utterly methodical in doing so. If you don't want them to rampage around, just wait when the Inquisition gives you a mission to bomb the living hell out of their Tomb World with a Plasma Bomb (Davian Thule style), send in three marines on bikes and make an express delivery.
Factions not implemented
- Dark Eldar: No info on them yet.
Don't donate a chaos artifact to anyone but the Inquisition.
Use tech marines to pick up STC fragments
NEVER send your whole chapter on crusade, or don't whine here that you get wiped.
NEVER send your whole chapter or a space hulk/necron tomb or you'll get blood angels'd
- The Origin of Chapter Master
- First thread
- Second thread
- Third thread
- Fourth thread
- Fifth thread, in which shit gets real
- Sixth thread
- Seventh thread
- Eighth thread
- Ninth thread, in which shit appears to get real again. But no guarantees.
- The most recent addition to the battle.
- There is still hope.
- All the hype. Custom icons are taken.
- It has come, it is here. Children bawled. Men Wept. Women orgasmed everywhere.
- Fallout thread, where people began contributing names
- Fallout thread 2, where some more alphas came out.
- Chapter Master, the leader of a Space Marine Chapter.