"Know, o prince, that in the time between the dull youth of the internet and the age of Newfags, that there was an ancient and awesome message board known as /b/. It was the first but not the last. Back in these ancient times of myth and legend, a foul kind known as Furries sought the coveted Wednesday slot, but lo, their dickishness knew no bounds, and soon, they sought the other days as well. And, lo, from the sky came the neckbeards, men of lore and wisdom, who saw the blasphemous evil and faggotry, and with righteous rage cast down the Furry and the Troll with powerful "Humanity; Fuck Yeah" threads and burning Rage! The purging of /b/ lasted many weeks, and the awesome power of neckbeards was REWARDED! AND LO! MOOT, God of /b/ crafted a sacred place of awesomeness and swelling pride, known as /tg/."
An imageboard on 4chan, and the origin of this wiki and the stuff displayed herein. Mostly populated by neckbeards, its residents are often referred to as fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls, and sometimes variations thereof (like smar/tg/uys or rabbi/tg/irls). It is sometimes said that /tg/ is really about D&D and WH40k and anything that is not related to those two topics should be saged, but in reality almost any subject can be tangentially linked to the board, and the topics of discussion are many and varied. /tg/: you don't even need the other boards anymore!
/tg/ is supposed to be worksafe. This means that it is periodically flooded with various varieties of porn. The masturbatory habits of your average fa/tg/uy have some overlap with the domain of /d/ when it comes to monstergirls, so they are fairly common; elves in various states of undress are also a frequent sight, and the board is sometimes host to the furry plague that infests most of 4chan.
is known was once known gets into pride vs. butthurt fights over whether the /tg/ hivemind is able to get shit done. See: /tg/'s homebrews and /tg/ IRL for what /tg/ has done in the recent past far distant past. *BLAM* cut that shit out.
(As you can tell, fa/tg/uys occasionally have mild differences of opinion on pretty much any topic. But no matter what happens to our board or our codices, we'll always be united in our love of dice and hatred of That Guy. Seriously, fuck him.)
Things /tg/ stands for
- Traditional Games
- Tabletop Games
- Troll Grapplan
- Totally Gay
- Touhou Games
- Top Gear
- Tactical Genius
- The Game
- Shi/tg/ets done
- That Guy
- This Guy
- Traditional Gamers
History of /tg/
The history of /tg/ as a board and a userbase seems to have been muddled by the passage of time. The following was collected from various oldfags and checked with others.
Long ago on /b/ a tradition of Warhammer Wednesdays started. 40k fans would gather together on wednesdays to fill /b/ with their neckbeardedness. The future fa/tg/uys would compete with the furries for control of the board, and some of the oldest of fa/tg/uy drawfaggotry was of 40k characters purging the furfags from the board. Eventually moot had had enough of /b/ being flooded by Warhammer 40k fans and created a new board for them to inhabit along with other oldschool RPG players: /tg/.
The newly christened fa/tg/uys flourished on their new board, unmolested by the administration. Due to the nature of the hobby, many writefags, drawfags, and other creative types /tg/ and much unique content came from the board. But /tg/ was a blue board (that means it was supposed to be SFW for all you newfags), and the vast amounts of porn posted eventually caused the mods to come down on /tg/.
Sometime after the purge of nsfw content /tg/ reportedly entered a golden age in which the board became a sort of melting pot of various creative interests, and . It seems that many of the /tg/ original characters such as Crazy Hassan, Sir Bearington, and more came about during this era. It seems that it was during this time that /tg/ developed its reputation as a board of far-strewn subjects and appeal.
These times would not last, however, as /tg/ entered an era where the board suffered greatly at the hands of the 4chan administration. According to various users, there were a number of bad mods which have been collectively known as a single entity: the nazimod. Board content went to level of shit never seen before around 2010. Mods cracked down on both the shit flooding the board along with the material that while, not directly related to traditional gaming, were important parts of /tg/ culture. Some of the mods brought in due to the shit flood went stupid with power, and bans were handed out like candy to those who posted anything not directly related to traditional games or otherwise managed to displease the mods. While this got rid of some of the trashy members of the board, the purges also inflicted great casualties on the positive side of the userbase.
The history of /tg/ seems to go without major events until the advent of quest threads. Quest threads became popular on 4chan's many boards, but many complained that they weren't proper for the board. moot eventually decided that all quest threads should go onto /tg/, which has resulted in approval, indifference, or utter rage from the various users of /tg/.
Relationships with Other Boards
- /a/ - Currently overlapping userbases according to survey of various elegan/tg/entlemen. Generally contained within quest threads after a huge influx when quests on /a/ were redirected to /tg/.
- /co/ - Currently overlapping userbases according to survey of various elegan/tg/entlemen.
- /d/ - Much of the porn that /tg/ put up often dealt with monstergirls and the like, indicating something of an overlap of /tg/ and /d/ userbases.
- /k/ - RPG's typically include fantastic and hi-tech weaponry, resulting in an overlap in /k/'s subject matter.
- /pol/ - The seems to be a number of /pol/ users on /tg/ judging by the various political debates that occasionally spring up.
- /x/ - In the early days /tg/ had a lot of user overlap with /x/. After /b/ invaded /x/, many of the /x/ users unhappy with the new users left to make /tg/ their home board.
- Secret /tg/ Handshake - a means by which fa/tg/uys might recognize one another.
- List of /tg/ Cuisine - recipes by neckbeards, for neckbeards.
- Approved movies - movies which are either /tg/ related or are generally recommended by fa/tg/uys.
- Approved anime - anime some of /tg/ recommends.
- Recommended Video Games - video games for playing on lonely nights.
- /tg/ Games Census - stats about what /tg/ is playing, was playing, wants to play and wants never to play again.
- Our home - If you're clicking this link to find teegee, how the hell did you find this wiki?
- 4chan status - Some days, you'll visit it more than you visit 4chan.
- Sup/tg/ - Saves submitted threads and hosts /tg/'s favorite gaems. You'll feel more familiar with us if you spend some time browsing the archives.
- 4chan's /tg/ catalog (original neet.tv version) - All active threads on a single page, a.k.a. "catalog mode".
- The archive formerly known as Easymodo - A real-time (more or less) archive of all the text on /tg/. Good for reading deleted posts, citing your shit, or (until recently) as a "read-only" mode if you got yourself b& (back when bans were serious business).
/tg/ On Other Sites
- /tg/chan - A spinoff board. Has its own article, kind of.
- /tg/ on 7chan
- /tg/ on 420chan
- /tg/ on 8chan
Has a Board-tan counterpart.