A meme is an idea that spreads itself, supposedly in the same way that a gene does in biology. In the context of /tg/ and 4chan in general a meme is a running a joke, a pattern of text or images that is posted repeatedly, either for its own humor value or as a punchline to certain types of post. Correctly using memes for humor is an artform, and one that /tg/ takes endless joy in, as it does all scientific pursuits.
New memes are created all the time, while old ones go out of fashion. Some may be flash in the pan, and yet others are timeless, truly lasting as a testament to their utility and humor; but a selection of /tg/ memes includes:
- SPIRITUAL LIEGE - A meme making fun of the shitty Fluff of the fifth edition of Codex: Space Marines for Warhammer 40,000, which may as well have been called Codex: Ultramarines due to Matt Ward's infamous fanboy-jizzing all over his favored chapter in the Space Marines codex. In said codex, he referred to Marneus Calgar as the Space Marines' Spiritual Liege, and the ideal example of what all Space Marines aspire to be, above even their own Primarchs and Chapter-Masters. Suffice to say, this line induced more facepalms than Maradonia Saga from the player-base.
- Just as planned - Used to indicate some clever feat of manipulation or forward-planning, often by Tzeentch or his minions; alternatively, used to indicate Tzeentchian involvement in a humorous manner. Originally an /a/ meme based off of an early 2000s anime called Death Note.
- Love Can Bloom - Refers to a specific tale of a Vindicare Assassin falling in love with Farseer Taldeer, his intended victim. Used more generally to indicate sweet and gentle happenings within the GRIM DARKNESS of the 41st millennium.
- Bear Lore - A reference to the incredibly stingy Bear Lore chart in the 4e Monster Manual, which implies that a high degree of Nature skill is required to even know that bears have claws and teeth.
- CLANG! - A meme centered around a Universal Stillpoint Rod, which, once activated, remains in that spot in the universe forever. These rods lurk like space-detritus, waiting for an unfortunate moment for someone to be standing where they are when sud-CLANG! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!
- CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!! - A beloved 40K meme in which Usarker Creed from Warhammer 40K uses his tactical genius ability to scout units that by all accounts, could not be scouted, into position. The more hilarious the scouting, the better. May or may not involve Baneblades or Titans.
- Alignments - A Motivational Poster describing one of the nine classic D&D alignments, with a photo and quote of someone that embodies that ethic.
- What I Made / What the DM Saw / What I Played - three-piece clipart describing how the player subverted expectations.
- Anal Circumference - An unfortunate meme that stems from the equally-unfortunate FATAL RPG system, widely mocked as one of the most depraved and idiotic things transcribed to text. The general gist is that there is an entire subsystem in place for how much someone's ass in FATAL can stretch, and like most things in FATAL, this subsystem fails utterly.
- SPESS MEHREENS - A legendary meme that stemmed from Dawn of War: Soulstorm. One of three (the others being METAL BOXES and Cornholio the Cultist. A meme making fun of Indrick Boreale's outrageous accent and hilariously messed-up verbiage, which is so bad that it makes one wonder what the hell Relic was smoking when its writers shat out the dialogue involved.
- Classic Blunder - When someone starts a thread with an image more interesting than the text and /tg/ discusses the image instead, completely ignoring the text. Named after a line from "The Princess Bride".
- Dohohoho - When someone makes a topical joke using a Statler and Waldorf routine to jeer at someone or something in a (attempted) witty manner. A higher class of meme for distinguished gentlemen.
- I put on my robe and wizard hat - Used randomly when talking about magic (or sometimes psy powers), this amusing meme originated from a quite interesting cybering session.
- Fish of Fury - A 40K game mechanic-turned meme that caused the Tau to be unapologetic rage-generators at their launch and has since fallen by the wayside, but which /tg/ periodically attempts to reference to make funny with mixed results.
- DISTRACTION CARNIFEX - Another game mechanic from 40K in meme form, stemming from a popular tactic for Tyranids in multiple editions wherein a player kitted out a relatively cheap Carnifex for use as a distraction. Officially died due to Robin Cruddace. The tactic was immediately adapted by other players using other factions, with mixed results. May or may not be a variation of the older than the internet DISTRACTION PENIS meme.
- That Which Must Not Be Named - A meme in which someone who calls a certain chaos unit by its actual name will be turned into a Chaos Spawn--OHGODABRBRBRBRLA
- Squats - /tg/'s version of the Candlejack meme. If you mention Squats, Games Workshop sends its death squads after you. One wonders why this meme even exists, since hardly anyone even knows about Squats anymo-
- Elf slave, wat do?
Many memes take the form of recurring characters. See List of /tg/ Characters.
A forced meme is when a single person repeatedly posts something, in an attempt to make it a meme. It usually fails.
Memes Through Cross-Contamination
Memes often spread. What may start as some obscure bit of silliness on /b/ or /co/ could very well wind its way through /d/ and /tg/ before it's through. Many of these are simply ignored as shit, but a few become beloved by their respective boards:
- Brundlepenis - a meme that migrated from /d/ and arrived on /tg/ after someone posted pictures of what appeared to be half-men-half-dicks, and several fa/tg/uys made clear their intent to use them as inspiration for Slaaneshi that which must not be named. Things went downhill from there and any posting of Brundlepenis on /tg/ will cause equal parts hate and laughter.
- Heterosexual Sex in the Missionary Position - Another meme that migrated from /d/, and arguably the more obstenibly humorous of the two. It generally involves someone requesting image of Heterosexual Sex in the Missionary Position, and then being called a sick fuck by the other anons/tripfags/namefags in the thread, as such is too intense for the guys posting Futa Mermaid porn. Hilarity through irony thus occurs.
- Rebecca Black - What started as an aborted attempt by /b/ to incite /tg/ to join it in hating something quickly turned sour when /tg/ discovered that Rebecca Black's autotuned voice sounded distressingly like someone with an infamous voice in Dawn of War: Soulstorm. To date, /tg/ is the only board that managed to make this meme funny.
BEAR WITNESS TO MY ASCENSION
While most memes never make it out of the shit pit of the internet several of /tg/'s have been included in their source materials, almost certainly owing to the fact that their creators are one of us.
- Love blooms in the Dark Heresy sourcebooks.
- The commissar wants to hit them with his sword.
- Adept Grendel drew the attention of the the inquisition.
- Alice Boone has become a cautionary tale. Truly Fantasy Flight Games is the beardiest of companies.
- Or maybe they are under Tzeentch control. "Just as planned!"
- Commissar Dan was makes one last glorious charge with Fluffy.