||Verses from the Book of Lorgar
||Erebus, Kor Phaeron
||Use of Daemons, spreading Chaos
The Word Bearers are a legion of Chaos Space Marines. Their Primarch is Lorgar.
Why hello there unbeliever. Would you mind a small theological chat?
They were the guys who used to be really, really, really loyal to the Emprah. Like, these guys used to be the Church of the Emprah. After the Horus Heresy they've become the complete opposite. Now they go around fucking up the Emprah's sepulchre planets, relic worlds, and Cardinal worlds, setting up cathedrals to the Chaos Gods in their places. They are also notable for being the one Chaos legion to still have Chaplains, known as Dark Apostles, which is probably because they invented the idea of Space Marine preachers and no other Legions wanted them until after the Horus Heresy was over. Unlike the other Chaos legions and renegade chapters, Red Corsairs notwithstanding, these guys actually managed to sort of keep their shit together rather than having everyone with a slightly fancier costume take his ball and go home. They're sorta like grimdark Chaos Taliban. Except the Word Bearers make the Taliban look like peace-loving atheists in comparison.
Their hobbies include human sacrifice, prayers to the Chaos Gods, daemon summoning and occult study.
A Word Bearer chaplain named Erebus was actually pretty much the driving force behind Horus turning to Chaos. Erebus stole a weapon from the Interex which caused them to get all butthurt and blame Horus and the Luna Wolves for the theft. All of this took place during the novel Horus Rising. In the next book, False Gods, Horus and the merry Luna Wolves take a trip to Davin IV during which all hell breaks loose and Horus takes some wounds and comes as close as a primarch can to dying (he basically took a nap). Abaddon, having as many daddy issues as Horus, decided it'd be a good idea to follow the advice of Erebus and take Horus to a local temple run by the serpent-worshiping locals, where it was said he could be healed. Erebus sent Horus into a trance and basically whispered sweet nothings about Chaos into his ear the entire time, planting the very first seed of corruption.
Yeah, we know what you're thinking: Organization? Of a Traitor Legion? While it may surprise you, the Word Bearers still function as an organized Legion (though much looser than the Legiones Astartes). As such, they have a clearly designated hierarchy and command structure. While Lorgar remains the ultimate master of the Word Bearers, in reality he has allowed command to fall to fall as such:
- Master of the Faith: The de facto head of the Word Bearers in Lorgar's absence, currently held by First Captain Kor Phaeron.
- Chief Dark Apostle: The head of the priesthood, currently held by Erebus.
- Dark Council: A collection of six Dark Apostles who oversee the overall actions of the Legion, and confirm the ascension of other Dark Apostles.
- Dark Apostle: spiritual leader of a Host, the primary organization of the Word Bearers following the Horus Heresy. Dark Apostles are confirmed by the Dark Council and in turn make the decisions of the rank and advancement for the Host.
- Coryphaus: The senior military commander of a host, comparable to a Chapter Master or First Captain. The Coryphaus leads the Host's returns during religious ceremonies (and trust us, the Word Bearers have a lot of religious ceremonies) and makes all tactical decisions during actual combat, freeing up the Dark Apostle to better commune with the Chaos Gods.
- Icon Bearers: A Word Bearer charged with carrying the Icon of the XVII Legion in battle, similar to a Company Standard Bearer in a Space Marine Chapter.
- Champion: The leader of Word Bearer squads, know as coteries. Comparable to a Squad Captain from the Legiones Astartes.
- Aspiring Champion: Another Squad leader, comparable to a Sergeant.
- Warrior-Brother: The rank and file soldiers of a host.
 Daily Rituals
- 04:00: Morning Prayer: The Word Bearers are roused from their cells to begin the day with sermons from the Book of Lorgar read by the Dark Apostle. Prayer lasts four hours, one dedicated to each of the Chaos Gods.
- 08:00: Morning Firing Rites: The Word Bearers engage in target practice. Often using human slaves captured during raids.
- 09:00: Battle Practice: The Word Bearers descend to the practice cages for training.
- 12:00: Midday Meal: A light meal is prepared by the Legion Serfs. Cooking the meal improperly will often see the Legion Serf become the next meal.
- 12:30: Tactical Indoctrination: The Word Bearers gather for a tactical briefing, showing which planets they will be invading, and locations of cathedrals to the False Emperor which must be destroyed.
- 14:00: Evening Firing Rites: The Word Bearers gather for target practice.
- 15:00: Evening Prayer: The Word Bearers gather for the Dark Apostle to lead them in prayer. Daemonic pacts are often made during Evening Prayer, and Marines may be blessed with possession.
- 19:00: Evening Meal: A feast is prepared by the Legion Serfs. Sometimes Legion Serfs are on the menu.
- 20:00: Evening Maintenance: Word Bearers will be stripped of their Power Armour (assuming they can still remove it) for repairs to be completed. Sometimes Warrior-Brothers will see the Apothecary to check on the status of mutations.
- 00:00: Rest Period: The Word Bearers retire to their cells for rest.
 Famous Word Bearers
In Dark Crusade, the Dark Apostle Eliphas leads a warband of Word Bearers to take over Kronus. Awesome ensues.
There's also some faggot named Marduk.
Amongst /tg/, the most famous Word Bearer would be Dranon.