An image with a long, murky history with 4chan and Something Awful. Popular with probably every board, including /tg/. In its primordial roots, it was created on a now-defunct Pokemon fansite (Pokemopolis) of all places, where it was known as the :cheesy: smiley. The creator also posted in on Something Awful, where the Goons made it into what it is now.
If someone replies to your post with this image attached, he is essentially saying something along the lines of "fuck you" or "you're a fucking retard". This person is probably correct, since the purpose of /tg/ is /to generate/ RAGE.
Often blends with METAL, which is similarly employed in irony against shit that's just too much.
What is Awesome
- Vecna is the primary example of awesome in D&D, since he's the Batman wizard who broke the game so hard in 2nd edition, that he caused the edition change to 3rd. He avoids Mary Suedom primarily by being awesome, and by ultimately losing, though he had a partial success since he ultimately went from demigod to lesser god.
- Some (not all) Old School modules in D&D - the ones which established the tropes. In the Dungeons of the Slavelords, Tomb of Horrors, and (as late as 1996) Gates of Firestorm Peak. Rappan Athuk for that First Edition Feel.
- Warhammer 40,000: a universe guided solely by Rule of Cool and GRIMDARK, with the Imperium being the essence of Humanity Fuck Yeah. In eternal war against Extradimensional Cosmic Horrors straight out of H.P. Lovecraft's worst nightmares.
- In fantasy, the second biggest example of awesome is FUCKING NORSCA. BECAUSE VIKINGS.
- If you play older editions of 40K, draw this face on your blast templates for lulz.
- In battletech there is a mech named the Awesome, it is indeed pretty awesome.
- But by far the most amazing and awesome of all is the king of all kings, Settra the Imperishable the most arrogant biggest egotistical lovable skeleton in all of warhammer.
- BRIAN BLESSED!!!!- "GOTREK'S (Gordon) ALIVE!!!!"
- You. You're awesome. Unless you're That Guy.
- Old Man Henderson
- The glorious return of Makari, the luckiest Git to ever live.
- Imperial Guard
- JRR Tolkien telling the Nazis off during World War II for perverting northern European culture, and calling out their racist Aryan ideology for the crock it was.