Age of Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Collegiate Arcane
Collegiate Arcane has no battleline and so can only be used as an ally in another army.
There isn't currently a Battletome for Collegiate Arcane.
- The Grand Alliance Order book has all the Warscrolls and Battalions.
- This should be supplemented with the Grand Alliance Order Errata and Designers' Commentary from the FAQs.
- Matched play points are in the General's Handbook 2018.
- Alternatively up to date warscrolls can be found in the WH AoS app.
As with all factions you'll want:
- The core rules are either downloadable or in the Core Book.
- Games taking place in a Realm need the Realm of Battle rules from the Core Book.
- In you want to take advantage of realm specific artefacts you'll need the Artefacts Of The Realms section from the Malign Sorcery book.
- Matched play battleplans are split across the Core Book and General's handbook 2018.
- All books should be supplemented with any updates from the FAQs.
- Battlemage on Griffon: In exchange for a great command ability, a great additional weapon and a much better save, this guy here gets... a pretty decent unique spell. Wee.
- Battlemage: Bog standard Wizard with a staff attack and a bad save. The Empire Wizards have the nice trick of being able to pick their unique spell depending on which school they follow. Most of these are meh or, in the Lore of Death case, just worse versions of AOS1 Arcane Bolt (the Damage spells have improved in comparison with the Nerfing of Arcane Bolt in AOS2, but the Lore of Death is still not the best unless you army build helps widen the difference in bravery). The Lore of Beasts, Lore of Shadows and Lore of Life are definitely the best here.
- Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage: A big honking Laser Cannon that also gets any order unit around them a save-after-the-save and makes unbinding for Order Wizards easier. Its Light beam at full strength is also terrifyingly powerful and thanks to its really high range, it should never be in any danger. Use this if you like cannons but don't want to be a sitting duck. The spell of a Battlemage will be the bane of Horde armies; rolling at 6, you inflict D3 mortal wounds to the target, or twice that amount (roll one D3, double the results) if the target unit has +10 models, and thrice the original amount (triple the results) if the target has +20 models.
- Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage: This one's fun. It adds to the casting rolls of Order Wizards, to the Hit rolls of ALL OF ORDER! and the Hurricanum, as well as the Wizard on it, can drown the opponent in mortal wounds. In other words, it's a force multiplier with a punch. If you play any form of Order army at all, consider this. Seriously consider this option, you can pull off a huge amount of crazy ass shit with this fucking bad ass weather machine! The spell is also good; rolling at 6, you must choose an enemy at 18" of the Hurricanum, then the enemy does the same (can pick even the same unit). On a 1-3, a comet hits the unit your enemy picked, on a 4-6, it's the one you picked. It suffers D6 mortal wounds.
- Luminark of Hysh: All it does is lose the battlemage's staff attack if you didn't take a mage on it.
- Celestial Hurricanum: Same with LoH above.
Battalion that conists of 1 Battlemage on Griffon, 3-8 regular battlemages on foot, 1 Celestial Hurricanum and 1 Luminark of Hysh. The battalion special rules allow any of it's mages decide not to cast any spells in hero phasa and aid another caster instaed. The caster gets +1 to casting rolls and +6" to the spell's range for every other guy helping him. This allows you to reach enemy units and their wizards while beeing outside of their unbinding range.
The battalion is quite interesting but 180 points for it is a lot. The minimum cost of it is 1400 points using 2.0 point values (240 for griffon, 380 for hurricanum, 240 for luminark, 360 for 3 battlemages and 180 for the battalion itself).
Really, this is another of the (many) ally-to-someone armies in Aos. For most cases, starting off with a box of the empire wizards is most you'll need as 2 come in the box.
Any order Armies that lack a decent magic presence by themselves (free peoples, dorfs (if you roll that way), etc.) make a good choice to ally with the Collegiate Arcane.
Free Peoples: they seem like a pretty obvious choice as they were together pre-faction splitting.
Order Serpentis also work really well, bringing the old Lore of Life + Hydra combo back. The Caludron of Blood is a good base for Dark Aelf magic artillery conversions.
|Age of Sigmar Tactics Articles|