Age of Sigmar/Tactics/Old/Order/Devoted of Sigmar
These rules have been succeeded by the Cities of Sigmar Battletome.
Why play Devoted of Sigmar
-you want to purge the heretics in the old way, without shiny, golden armor or made-by-thunder hammer.
-the flagellants are a quite interesting units and the strongest horde order have at disposal.
-you want to see the face of your enemy when you took down his guy in black, gotich armour with a horde of shirtless, crazy guys
-you want to scream "FOR SIGMAR" and "DIE HERETICS" without being arrested.
-the models are really beautiful and easy to personalize it. I suggest you to modify a marauder horde for save money.
-no battletome, alliance ability, updates or tactics except "charge and kill them all" ones
There isn't currently a Battletome for Devoted of Sigmar.
- The Grand Alliance Order book has all the Warscrolls and Battalions.
- This should be supplemented with the Grand Alliance Order Errata and Designers' Commentary from the FAQs.
- Matched play points are in the General's Handbook 2018.
- Alternatively up to date warscrolls can be found in the WH AoS app.
As with all factions you'll want:
- The core rules are either downloadable or in the Core Book.
- Games taking place in a Realm need the Realm of Battle rules from the Core Book.
- In you want to take advantage of realm specific artefacts you'll need the Artefacts Of The Realms section from the Malign Sorcery book.
- Matched play battleplans are split across the Core Book and General's handbook 2018.
- All books should be supplemented with any updates from the FAQs.
- Witch Hunter: Not too dangerous, unless you send him at Wizards or Daemons. Funnily enough, the rule doesn't specify CHAOS Daemons, so your Witch Hunter will have a field day with Seraphon, as ALL his attacks doing D3 damage actually makes this guy pretty dangerous.
- War Altar of Sigmar: Surprisingly very dangerous at range, especially against Chaos and even more against Chaos Daemons. It is also immensely good at buffing your units and keeping them safe. One Altar in your army can also have Volkmar the Grim chilling in it, who makes the thing even better. Do keep in mind that, as it gets damaged, it will have trouble keeping up with your Knights, so an all-cav list may not be the right place for it.
- Warrior Priest: Never ever give this guy the Greathammer as its stat block was obviously written by someone who didn't get the rules (Both choices are even on save 3+, Warhammer is better for everything above, although only marginally). Other than that, they are decent though not impressive in melee and have some very nice prayers up their sleeves and most importantly, unlike most Priests, they aren't that squishy. In fact, with a shield, they are decidedly non-squishy and not just by Empire standards, either.
- Excelsior Warpriest: The only toy for this faction specifically released for Age of Sigmar and is basically just a normal war priest with a single hammer. He has a prayer that can heal d3 wounds on an order unit or do the revers to a chaos unit (this drops to one wound if the unit is non-chaos). Also allows a gryph hound to be set up but this takes away the battleline designation from your flagellants.
- Flagellants: Bad hit rolls and no saves make for a very unimpressive unit at first glance, but if you get a War Altar or a Hurricanum (or better both) close to them, you have an absolutely terrifying unit that nobody wants to get charged by, because even if your opponent kills them, they can deal unpleasant damage to him.
Pilgrimage of Wrath
A War Altar of Sigmar, 2 Warrior Priests, a Witch Hunter and two units of Flagellants
Have the option to build cheap effective hordes that can be buffed to the max by war altars/priests. Removing battleshock within 10" of a war alatar has its pros and cons as it negates the fleeing flagellants dishing out mortal wounds on a 4+. Witch hunters are just plain bad, even against daemon wizards they don't have the save or range to be worth what you're paying for an enemy. The excelsior warpriests sole advantage over the run of the mill warpriest is the ability to pray an arcane bolt and heal units as opposed to models. As they cost the same points it's really your call. The army works based around prayers to Sigmar as well as your priests and war altars unbinding spells all day.
FREE PEOPLE or STORMCAST ETERNALS are the best choices. Can also take Collegiate Arcane and Ironweld Arsenal.
- Blacksmoke Battery:
- Grugg Brothers:
- Gutstuffers: They can re-roll charge rolls but they are forced to charge at the closest enemy unit within 12". It's your call if you want to use this company.
- Nimyard’s Rough-Riders:
- Order of the Blood-Drenched Rose:
- Skroug’s Menagerie:
- Sons of the Lichemaster:
- Tenebrous Court: