"I've heard that some people complain about the large eyes and small noses and mouths in Japanese manga. But I don't see a whole lot of difference when I look at Disney characters."
- – Shirow Masamune
"Anime has sent me all over the world, introducing me to people who have touched my life in indescribably profound ways."
Anime is a shorter term for "Japanese-style animation". It was first popularised by Ozamu Tezuka after watching too many Disney films, and thus adopted the artstyle for use in Japanese media.
Anime bears various qualities distinct from western animation, a few of which are easily recognizable even to the uninitiated westerner. Anime's more recognizable characteristics include, but are not limited to the following:
- A distinctive artstyle, often characterized by big eyes and a small mouth.
- A varied emotional iconography, including such (in)famous symbols as the cross-popping temple vein and the lascivious nosebleed.
- High graphical detail, but low framerate.
- A wide range of genres and topics, everywhere from shows starring preteen female superheroes who put on frilly dresses and smite evil to shows starring testosterone-drunk, hot-blooded mecha pilots, to hardcore fetish pornography.
Mainstream western animation has started to take cues from anime within the last decade or so, with shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender, RWBY and Teen Titans.
Being a fan of anime does not necessarily make one weeaboo under the stricter definition of the term, but if you are weeaboo you are almost certainly an anime fan, so most normalfags do not bother to make the distinction. A very, very large proportion of 4chan's userbase are anime fans, including many of the denizens of /tg/. As a result, anime-related images are frequently posted to /tg/. They also generally have very little to do with the topic itself.
Here is a list of some /tg/-approved anime.
Many, if not most Drawfags will draw their females in a vaguely or obviously animooted style this tends to increase "fappable levels", if only just to make it more appealing to the
general crowd weeaboos. Since 4chan's userbase is, as noted above, composed of 90% weeaboos, no one really complains about this.
tl;dr: Its alright, but weebs make it unlikable.
- Manga: Anime for /co/
- Horo: See Spice and Wolf
- Lolicron: A 'Cron what is loli
- Loli: What is loli?
- The Warhammer anime
- The 4chan anime: Related to Board-tans
- Touhou, which is not anime, and thus only slightly /tg/ related.
- Approved anime, Anime that /tg/ likes.
This pleases Gendo