'A Computer Roleplaying Game (RPG). It's best pronounced "crappage".
Some of the best known and highly praised CRPGs include:
- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (Takes cliché and rips it a new one.)
- Baldur's Gate I & II (Has nothing to do with Vikings. This is where Bioware got its start before it went to shit.)
- The Dragon Age trilogy. ('Dark, heroic fantasy', also by Bioware.)
- The Elder Scrolls series.
- Fallout I, II and New Vegas. There are other games in the series, but they are distinctly less RPG-like.
- Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (This sounds like it's porn, but it's not.)
- Planescape: Torment (More of an interactive novel than a game, but still awesome.)
- The Ultima series.
Japanese video roleplaying games were and still are made mostly for consoles and are often referred to as JRPGs or Japanese RPGs. They typically consist almost entirely of grinding and levelling, meaning you play the role of the guy with nothing better to do (to be fair, this accurately describes a disturbing number of hack & slash campaigns).