The Warriors Of Chaos, Chaos Space Marines, and various Chaos Cults of Warhammer Fantasy, Age of Sigmar, and Warhammer 40000 all devote themselves to the Chaos Gods of the shared Warhammer universe. But some of these foolish mortals aren't just small batteries of emotions that empower the Four, some actually get something back.
The path of a mortal who wants to become something more than they are is fraught with challenges. Too much attention from the Chaos Gods too soon, or not enough willpower, and they become a Chaos Spawn (which has become quite a prolific Meme in the Warhammer community as a result) Wait a minutARGHGRAAGGGAGAGAGGAG. Too little, and you run the risk of being XP points for another Chaos aspirant. But those who do succeed become living supermen, able to roam wherever they want doing whatever they feel like (so long as their Chaos God approves, although its a self-fulfilling prophesy as the only ones likely to get blessings want to do their master's bidding anyway). Beyond Championhood lies becoming a Daemon Prince.
In the Blood Bowl universe, the role of Chaos Champions is far less difficult (arguably), and far less rewarding; they are simply the managers of Chaos-sponsored teams, and the star players.
Before Chaos Undivided was largely removed from the game, it was something of a hard mode for Chaos Champions. But in more modern Warhammer lore the role is reserved solely for an individual who has been blessed to lead all of Chaos in their shared goals: Archaon, Abaddon, and Be'lakor.
Types of Champions
There are a number of different types of Champions, each more ambitious then the rest.
- Aspiring Champion: The most common type, an Aspiring Champion leads a squad of Chaos Space Marines, Chosen, Raptors, or Havocs.
- Terminator Champion: An Aspiring Champion who has somehow acquired a suit of Tactical Dreadnought Armour, often through killing the previous owner themselves. These champions lead squads of Chaos Terminators.
- Possessed Champion: Leaders of the Possessed, these Champions are often possessed by a powerful daemon and horribly mutated beyond even their brethren.
- Plague Champion: Plague Marine squad leaders, often the most horribly infested as well as the toughest to defeat.
- Noise Champion: The most dedicated to Slaanesh and leaders of Noise Marine squads. They commonly brandish rare sonic weaponry unavailable to most.
- Skull Champion: Leaders of Berzerker squads and seen as the most bloodthirsty as well as the best trained type of champion.
- Aspiring Sorcerer: Sorcerers in training before becoming true Chaos Sorcerers, leaders of Thousand Sons units.
- Biker Champion: Leaders of Bike squadrons, often highly bloodthirsty and obsessed with speed.
- Exalted Champion: A new option added in the 8th Edition Chaos Space Marine codex. Unlike other units designated as champions, they operate alone without commanding a squad.
- Champion of Nurgle: Disease and death are the most potent forces in the galaxy and the Champion of Nurgle embodies all of these. They are swollen and bloated, often little more than moving pus sacks and disease transmitters. Their bodies have been dulled to pain and as such can endure much damage before they die.
- Champion of Khorne: The most bloodthirsty and savage fighters, Champions of Khorne lust after the spilling of blood and the roar of battle to satisfy the desires of Khorne. They are experts in many weapon forms which others could not master but do not fight in a graceful manner, preferring to bludgeon their way through enemies. Only the greatest battles can sate their thirst for blood.
- Champion of Slaanesh: Desire is a strong emotion and Slaanesh is the embodiment of this, with his Champions reveling in their pleasures. They take joy from the ending of life on the battlefield, a perverse pleasure for which the desire is constantly increased. The senses of the Champion are increased beyond recognition and their minds are so fast to react that they fight in a blur which many enemies cannot even see, let alone defend against.
- Champion of Tzeentch: Highly powerful psykers make up the ranks of the followers of Tzeentch, and his most deadly followers are the greatest of these. The enhanced powers Tzeentch grants his Champions allows them to project Warp powers which no loyal follower of the Emperor would dream about. They often wear charms and pendants to protect themselves from the powers of the Warp; although the dangers are lessened they are still there. Often the Champion is merely a piece in a larger scheme and useful pieces are the best protected.
Chaos Champions who are killed do not receive rest. Skeletal Champions are Undead Chaos Champions, damned to roam the world for one additional year plus a day. Their soul is consumed by their patron, save a small amount of their essence containing all their skills and just enough willpower to serve the wishes of their master as a puppet.
Notable Chaos Champions
|Forces of the Death Guard|
|Leaders:|| Chaos Lord - Daemon Prince - Sorcerer - Chaos Champion |
Malignant Plaguecaster - Plague Surgeon - Tallymen
|Troops:|| Biologus Putrifier - Blightlord Terminator - Chaos Spawn - Deathshroud |
Foul Blightspawn - Noxious Blightbringer - Plague Marines - Possessed
|Vehicles:||Chaos Land Raider - Helbrute - Plaguereaper - Predator - Rhino|
|Flyers:||Storm Eagle - Stormbird - Thunderhawk|
| Blight Drone - Defiler - Foetid Bloat-Drone |
Myphitic Blight-Hauler - Plague Hulk - Plagueburst Crawler
|Daemons:||Nurgling - Plaguebearer|
|Auxiliaries:||Cultists - Pestigors - Plague Zombie - Poxwalkers|
|Allies:||Chaos Daemons - Chaos Space Marines|
|Forces of the Thousand Sons|
|Leaders:|| Chaos Champion - Chaos Lord - Chaos Sorcerer |
Daemon Prince - Exalted Sorcerers
|Troops:||Chaos Spawn - Rubric Marines - Rubric Terminators|
|Vehicles:|| Chaos Dreadnought - Chaos Land Raider |
Helbrute - Predator - Rhino - Vindicator
| Silver Tower of Tzeentch - Forgefiend |
Heldrake - Maulerfiend - Defiler
Fire Lord - Doom Wing
|Daemons:|| Flamers of Tzeentch - Horror - Screamers of Tzeentch |
Mutalith Vortex Beast
|Auxiliaries:|| Cultists - Prospero Spireguard - Thrall Wizards |
Tzaangors - Tzaangor Enlightened - Tzaangor Shaman
|Allies:||Chaos Daemons - Chaos Space Marines|