In a nutshell, the fey'ri descend from fallen elven houses that turned to the forbidden art of demonology, for which they were imprisoned in what the other elves hoped would be an inescapable prison. Long story short, it wasn't. But it held them for thousands of years, by which time generations of elf on succubus (and other demon) interbreeding had turned them into a unique form of tiefling.
Fey'ri are extremely mutable; visually, fey'ri most closely resemble their sun elf ancestors, though with large bat-like wings and potentially other fiendish traits, such as fiery red eyes, finely scaled skin, long tails, bat-like ears, and deep red skin. The selective breeding program that created fey'ri makes them markedly more powerful than ordinary tieflings, although they're still somewhat unstable in terms of the precise powers they manifest.
In terms of personality, fey'ri combine the worst of demonic vindictiveness and sun elf ego; they loathe other elven races for "wronging them", especially moon elves, and think themselves better than all other races. Still, the fact that theirs is such a small and tightly interbred race - inbreeding is a recurring issue with the small size of their population - forces them to get on with each other. Even their appearance in Races of Faerun notes that their society cannot hold itself together, and inevitably they will splinter and be scattered across the world.
After having been introduced in 3rd edition, fey'ri made it into 4th edition through an article in issue #208 in Dungeon Magazine, which featured the Fey'ri Skin-Dancer, Fey'ri Marauder, Fey'ri Blood Sorcerer, and Dlardrageth Prince as monsters.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution
- Medium size
- Base land speed 30 feet, Fly 40 feet with Poor Manueverability
- Low-Light Vision
- Immunity to magical Sleep spells and effects.
- +2 racial bonus on Will saves against Enchantment spells and effects.
- Alter Self (Sp): Alter-Self can be used at-will to assume any humanoid form, which the fey'ri can remain within indefinitely.
- +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Search and Spot checks.
- Elven Blood: Fey'ri are treated as Elves for all special abilities & effects that key off of race. This lets them use elf-restricted magic items and prestige classes, for example.
- Native Outsider type
- Demonic Abilities: A fey'ri has four special abilities chosen from the following list. Spell-like abilities use the fey'ri's character level for their effect, and their DC is Charisma based. A fey'ri may have only one special ability marked with an *.
- Spell-Like Ability: Charm Person 1/day
- Spell-Like Ability: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance 1/day
- Spell-Like Ability: Darkness 1/day
- Spell-Like Ability: Detect Thoughts 1/day
- Spell-Like Ability: Dimension Door 1/day*
- Spell-Like Ability: Enervation 1/day*
- Spell-Like Ability: Suggestion 1/day
- Damage Reduction 10/+1*
- Fire Resistance 10
- +2 racial bonus on saves against Electricity
- +2 racial bonus on saves against Poison
- Favored Class: Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +2, or +3 if it possesses a Demonic Ability with an *.