These subterranean-dwelling humanoids have had the misfortune of being repeatedly enslaved by various other Scarnish Underdark denizens for countless generations, with the skerrai being but the latest in a line of conquerors to exploit them as miners. Although these centuries of enslavement have largely dulled the rebellious instincts of the krampeks, they haven't lost them entirely, and more than a few individuals and even whole families have taken advantage of the skerrai perception of them as too docile to really need managing to slip away and establish hidden villages in thermally active tunnels away from the skerrai-controlled regions.
Whilst the skerrai have striven to socially engineer the krampeks to be as primitive and easily managed as possible - teaching them to fear fire as the domain of "evil spirits" and denying them the use of a written language - the krampeks aren't idiots and have developed a complex culture that centers on oral histories and a belief system that combines animistic spirit worship tailored for the Underdark with a belief in reincarnation. Free krampek villages grow brilliantly colorful vertical terrace gardens of bioluminescent fungus. Culturally, as you'd expect, krampeks prize perseverance, fortitude and loyalty; those rare krampek adventurers are deeply loyal to their chosen party, and a party that has the fortune to visit their companion's home village can look forward to being welcomed like long-lost siblings. In fact, krampeks are quite friendly to any visitor who they feel they can trust - but those who come with hostile intentions will be in for a fight they won't soon forget.
Which most foes don't expect looking at krampeks. After all, the word "imposing" isn't the first word to come to mind when looking at this race - that would be "cute". Averaging about 3 1/2 feet tall, krampeks are a humanoid race with a body covered in dense white fur, digitigrade legs ending in pointy hooves, long, flat, bushy tails, and a pair of black, corrugated horns - actually highly flexible chitinous antennae, which are so flexible that their gesticulations are a major component of the krampek language. In essence, sort of like a combination of satyrs, yeti and ratatosk. They can emit dull light in any color they wish from their horns, and whilst this has made their darkvision inferior to that possessed by most denizens of the Underdark, they are also far less adversely sensitive to light as well. Their dense coats shield them from extreme cold, and their metabolism has evolved to cope with the oft-toxic fungi that makes up the mainstay of their diet. They've also learned to exploit how harmless they look to other races.
- Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution OR +1 Charisma
- Size: Small
- Speed: 25 feet
- Darkvision: 30 feet
- Born With Inner Fire: You have Resistance to Cold and can, as a bonus action, emit dim light to a range of 60 feet in any color you choose. You can emit light for up to 20 cumulative minutes per day and you have Disadvantage on Stealth checks whilst broadcasting light.
- Unique Metabolism: You have Resistance to Poison damage and Advantage on saves against the Poisoned condition.
- Cloven Hooves: You have Proficiency in Athletics, Advantage on climbing checks, and when climbing natural vertical surfaces, you have the same movement speed as when running.
- Disarming Appearance: Your first successful attack against a Medium or larger creature in combat does bonus damage equal to twice your character level. Once a creature has taken this bonus damage, Disarming Appearance will never work on that creature again.