Kythri, the Churning Chaos is a plane in the cosmology of the Dungeons & Dragons setting of Eberron, commonly nicknamed "The Orrery". A roiling soup of land, water, air, protoplasmic ooze, fire, magma, hissing steam, smoke, dust, ice, blinding light, pitch darkness, acid, flashing ligthning, cacophonous sound, and seemingly every other substance and energy found in the universe fills the plane of Kythri. Every part of the plane constantly changes. A creature, native or not, can sometimes exert enough will to hold a location constant and stable – for a short time.
- Objective Directional Gravity: The direction of gravity changes frequently.
- Highly Morphic: Kythri constantly changes. A given area, unless magically stabilized somehow, can react to specific spells or sentient thought.
- Strongly Chaos Aligned
- Enhanced Magic: Spells with the Chaotic descriptor are maximized and enlarged.
- Impeded Magic: Spells with the Lawful descriptor are impeded.
- Kythri Inhabitants: Chaos beast, Githzerai, Howler, Slaad (all), Titan, Quaraphon.
- Coterminous: Kthri’s proximity has no unusual effects on the Material plane, though popular superstition links its coterminous phase with periods of unrest and conflict. True to the planes nature, Kythri’s movement through the Astral plane is utterly erratic, entering a coterminous phase at apparently random intervals and staying that way anywhere from a day to a century.
- Remote: When Kythri is remote it exerts no noticeable effect on the Material plane.