Originating in D&D, the Kyton is a minor fiend native to the third level of Baator, where they rule the chain-woven city of Jangling Hiter. Characterized as humanoids wrapped up like mummies in barbed chains, kytons are notorious for their skill at wielding chain weapons and their sadistic love of inflicting pain. Whether they're actually a strain of Baatezu or a minor fiendish race subliminated to diabolic rule is unclear.
In Pathfinder, Kytons have stepped out of the hells and gotten a lot more development. Now residents of the Plane of Shadow, the Kytons of Pathfinder are... well, essentially they're Barker Coenobites. Obsessed with pain, pleasure, and the limits of the flesh, they are a race of twisted flesh and mutilating metal, servitors of the mad God of Pain, Zon-Kuthon. Their leaders are demigods known as Demagogues. They have been renamed "Velstracs" as of PF 2nd Edition, presumably to protect Paizo from litigation. Canonically the word "Kyton" means "Master" or "Virtuoso" in the Velstrac's language, so the reason they didn't / don't mind being called Kytons was because they see it as a form of flattery.
Types of Velstrac
- The ones who forge the chains and blades that all the other velstracs dress up in. They look like halflings with 3 sets of arms and no legs. They are blind, deaf, and mute.
- Obsessed with truth and incapable of lying. They physically and mentally cut off pieces of their victims until they are reduced to "a single truth". They look like humans with blank white eyes crying blood, with various knives stabbed into their body.
- Mortals who have been turned into velstracs.
- The lowliest and most common type of velstrac, these guys were humanoid at one point, but have been squashed into a meatball to fit inside a 1-foot diameter floating metal sphere covered in spikes.
- Act as scouts and guides. They look like grey skinless children with glowing red eyes.
- After a velstrac kills their 999th victim, they can undergo a ritual to turn them into an Ephialtes, an ugly frankenstein worm thing that, despite having a leadership role, is significantly stupider than the average velstrac.
- Second in command to the Demagogues. They have skeletal wings and are always looking for new body parts to replace their heavily mutilated flesh.
- Your classic blue-skinned Chain Devil.
- Surgeons/fleshsculptors akin to haemonculi.
- The divine servitors of Zon-Kuthon. They cut out pieces of their flesh and replace it with shadowstuff.
- Obsessed with cold and ice. They have icicles pierced through their hands. Typically servants of the Demagogue Inkariax.
- Gatekeepers and emissaries between the Material and the Plane of Shadow. A crown of red gemstones juts out of their heads.
- Jailers and executioners. Curiously the only Velstracs, that *don't* like being called Kytons adventurers who make the mistake will be corrected firmly, but politely, exactly once.
- Storytellers and historians. They charm people into following them around and screaming at the top of their lungs.
- A created slave race.
- Also called "Joyful Things", these are velstracs who have undergone the Joymaking ceremony, where they have their arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose and tongue removed. Chains, barbed whips, and other artificial appendages are attached to the stumps.
- Constantly pregnant and giving birth to more velstracs.
- Arrogus, the Abbey Maker
- Barravoclair, Lady of the Final Gasp
- Fharaas, the Seer in Skin
- Inkariax, the White Death
- Kaikyton, the Stitchweaver
- Morrobahn, the Parasite Seed
- Raetorgash, the Skull-Hoarder
- Sugroz, the Voice in Screams
- Vevelor of the Broken Dream
Introduced alongside a bunch of other variant tieflings in the splatbook Blood of Fiends.
Ability Modifiers +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Wis
Alternate Skill Modifiers: Escape Artist, Intimidate
Alternate Spell-like Ability: Web
Chain Master: +2 trait bonus on combat maneuver checks to trip opponents with a chain or whip.
Pain Artist: +2 trait bonus on Intimidate checks on against helpless creatures
|The Fiends of Pathfinder|
|Lawful:||Asuras - Devils - Rakshasas - Velstracs|
|Neutral:||Daemons - Divs - Sahkils|
|Chaotic:||Demodands - Demons - Qlippoth|
|Lords:||Ahriman - Archdevils |
Demon Lords - Four Horsemen
|The inhabitants of the Planes of Planescape|
|Upper Planes:||Aasimon - Angel - Animal Lord - Archon |
Asura - Eladrin - Guardinals - Lillend
|Middle Planes:||Formians - Githzerai - Inevitable - Marut |
Modron - Rilmani - Slaadi - Kamerel
|Lower Planes:||Alu-Fiend - Baatezu - Bladeling - Cambion |
Demodand - Erinyes - Hag - Hordling
Imp - Kyton - Loumara - Marilith - Obyrith
Succubus - Tanar'ri - Yugoloth
|Transitive Planes:||Astral Dreadnought - Githyanki|
|Inner Planes:||Azer - Elemental - Genie - Grue - Mephit |
Salamander - Sylph
|Sigil:||Dabus - Cranium Rat|
|High-ups:||Archangel - Archdevil - Archfey |
Archomental - Demon Prince