Melee dueling books, licensed to hell and back, currently used in Japan for the Queen's Blade / Queen's Gate games.
Each player brings a book that describes a character. Each page of the book has the opponent's view of that character as the result of a manoeuvre. During play, each player simultaneously calls out a number that codifies the manoeuvre they wish to perform. They consult their opponent's book to see the result of their action and counter-action, and turn to the page that shows them what they see.
Since every book uses the same matrix of action/counter-action, any two books can be used with each other for duelling... even the books that have dinosaurs, Spider-man, 20-ton Battlemechs, Darth Vader, Tyranids, or huge-breasted succubi.
The original game system was designed by Alfred Leonardi.
Editions you will find:
- Queen's Blade. weeaboo, big breasts
- Queen's Gate, more weeaboo, panties and lolis.
- Marvel Battlebooks. Spider-Man, Capt. America, et al.
- Warhammer Warriors. Bolter Bitch, Space Marine, Chaos Marine, Eldar, Tyranid, Rogue Trader.
- Battletech. Griffon, Locust, Shadowhawk, Warhammer, Wasp, Rifleman.
- Dino Fight. Tyrannosaurus vs Triceratops.
- Star Wars. Luke vs. Vader.
- Lost Worlds. stock european fantasy.
- Tunnels & Trolls. more euro fantasy, more monsters though.
- ... and umpteen fan-made character books.
- QBBattle, has data files for all the other Lost Worlds books.