The Lumbermarines are once again another product of fat/tg/uys playing around with the Chapter Creation tables from Rites of Battle. A few rounds of rolling and it ended up as; an Blood Angels successor chapter so painfully North American it hurts. Eventually culminating in the production of a tier list for beards.
Essentially they were established during the height of the Beheading, after Veteran Sergeant Cleutin and the Shroud of Sanguinius passed through their homeworld. From a miraculous event, a forest of vermilion trees sprung up. Taking this as a sign, a few of the passing Blood Angels, including the notable Paulus Bunyan stayed behind to culture what would soon become the forces of the Lumbermarines, an army so rugged, so manly, that it oozes out of them with the consistency of Maple Syrup, staining their faces with beards century old.
The Lumbermarines were founded after a procession of the Blood Angels passed by their temperate homeworld of Sylvanus, during which, Veteran Sergeant Cleutin walked the planet. It is said, that the blood of Sanguinius dripped from the Shroud that day, staining the earth beneath it, and from his blood, sprang a forest of red oak, crimson as far as the eye can see. Taking this as a sign, the original Chapter Master and a few marines stayed behind to culture what would be the chapter to come. This was approximately during the late 32nd, early 33rd millenium during the height of the Beheading. From then on, the chapter carved its way through neighboring systems, liberating planets as they went. Once liberated, the planet fell under direct rule of an appointed elder within the Chapter. As time passed, their exploits earned them renown, for both their camaraderie and skill within the confines of melee combat. Many allies were made along the way, especially within the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. Their favorable ascent within the Imperium was also inversely portrayed elsewhere within the universe, creating enemies within the forces of Chaos and Dark Eldar alike.
- Upon their inception into the chapter, new recruits enter a world unlike one known to them before. The first task of which, is the planting of the trees. As the marines grow, they raise a tree. This tree is symbolic of their life. If they lose an arm, it might have a branch sheared off. If they serve a long life, the tree may tower over the surroundings, and if they die, it will be chopped down with them to be used for a funeral pyre, an act that is highly sentimental within the chapter, often having members of the deceased's company or squad use his own blade to fell the leafy giant.
- The second task, is the taming of the Sylvan Bears. Throughout their service, the Lumbermarines tame and work in unison with a form of local wildlife. These bears, grow rapidly, and regularly reach the size of Fenrisian Thunderwolves. These beasts, are large, powerful, and difficult to capture at a younger age. An early initiate might have trouble quelling the beast, and this leads to many a scar if a mistake is made. Eventually the bears make it onto the battlefield, in the forms of packs, as the young, and with time and luck, some may even be ridden.
- The third and final tradition that slowly creeps into the lives of the Lumbermarines is the growth and upkeep of their battle beard. As a young marine (or "sapling" as they call it), they are often clean shaven, but time changes that. There are regulations however. A full fledged battle brother usually simply grows a beard. If one elects to take a more stealthy approach, they shed the beard in favor of a mustache. Others, choose to grow formidable mutton chops in honor of the experience. Its said, that the beards of some lords, are capable of being worn as a sash, given the permitting occasion.
- Every Lumbermarine carries with them into battle a seed; Upon a victory and a reclaimed world, those seeds are then used to plant a victory forest. It is the chapter's way of telling the population that for as long as these trees stand and prosper, we will always be here to protect you. For every conquered world, a forest in its honor.
- The only exception to the traditions above, resides in the Wicker Men. When the Red Thirst calls, and the Black Rage is inevitable, there is a different path. A barren or petrified tree must be cut down. For the Wicker Men are dead to the Lumbermarines. But unlike the funeral pyres of their more conscious allies, the wood of these trees is taken into another wing of the forest, to be burned with the woods of the other Wicker Men.
- Chapter History
- 33rd Millennium Founding (Well actually around 546.M32 during the Beheading)
- Chapter Progenitor
- Blood Angels
- Chapter Purpose
- Stat Bonuses
- +5 Weapon skill, +5 Fellowship
- Gene-Seed Purity
- Combat Doctrine
- Drop Pods
- Lack of Devastator Marines
- Special Equipment
- Traditional Weapon (Axes)
- Chapter Belief
- Revere the Primarch
- Chapter Founding Father
- Previous Chaptermaster Paulus Bunyan. A giant of a man by marine standards, who now remains encased in an ancient dreadnought after a titanic battle with a Daemon Prince of Nurgle.
- Chapter Strength
- Over Strength
- Chapter Homeworld
- Feral World, with Temperate Forest terrain.
- Chapter Rule
- Direct Rule
- Chapter Friendship
- Adeptus Astra Telepathica
- Chapter Enemy
- Nurgle Forces and the Dark Eldar
- Chapter Battlecry
- "THEY ARE PIRATES. THEY HAVE SHIPS. AND SAILS. THEIR SILLY METAL NAVY MEANS NOTHING MORE THEN THE TREES OF OUR PEOPLE. IF WE AXE IT, IT WILL FALL." (When in battle with the Dark Eldar)
- "EVEN IF YOU DESTROY US, THE SMALLEST SEED WILL GROW AND GROW, UNTIL IT IS A TREE THE LIKES OF WHICH YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN. FEAR US, FOR WE ARE THE LUMBERMARINES!" (standard?)
Solo & Squad Mode Abilities
One particular characteristic stands out prominently for this Chapter. Choose any one Characteristic. At Rank 1 your chapter may re-roll failed Tests using this Characteristic. (such as all Perception-based Tests). At Rank 4, your Chapter gains a + 10 bonus to this test. At Rank 8, your Chapter gains a bonus degree of success on this test.
- Storm of Hell (Chapter Squad Attack Pattern)
- Action: Full Cost: 3 Sustained: Yes
- While this ability is in effect, The Battle-Brother and those within Support Range of him gain the Furious Assault Talent and the Frenzy Talent.
- At Rank 4, activating this ability is a Half Action.
On the table, it was decided that the Lumbermarines would use the Space Wolf Codex. With Mark of the Wulfen, and Lone Wolves being representative of the Wicker Men, or their equivalent of Death Company, this also helps exemplify the lack of visible spread of the Primarch's curse. Furthermore, the innate use of Frost Blades, and power axes worked well with the Traditional weapon roll. Even the ability to field a Terminator focused army was included which would be used to prosy the forces of the Lord of the Oak. The Space wolves tie to animal use also reflected the Lumbermarines emphasis on their ursine companions and finally, the special characters reflected the notable figures in the Lumbermarines fluff in a very positive nature.
- Origin Thread: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15929304/
- Second Thread: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15939363/
- Third Thread: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15953005/