The Lumi are a race of hyper-moralistic and self-righteous entities native to the Plane of Positive Energy, who draw their very existence from the concept of Light. Though their stocky frame is almost dwarf-like, they are instantly recognizable, as these completely hairless humanoids have marble-white skin that glows with a soft luminescence, almost like moonlight. Oh, and their disembodied heads float six inches above their shoulders without the need for any necks, so that helps too.
The lumi are a race of warriors and healers who live on the Positive Energy Plane. There they build towering cities of glass and light that are protected from intruders simply by virtue of the plane’s dangers to nonnative life. The power of unchecked positive energy keeps all but the most curious from even reaching their doorstep.
The lumi have a highly ordered society with a strict hierarchy based on their theology. Each settlement is more or less independent, though periodically the High Ecclesiastics of many cities will gather in a hidden cathedral that floats alone in the Positive Energy Plane. The lumi worship Light as a concept rather than owing allegiance to any deity. They praise its ability to uncover that which is hidden and see it as a symbol of purity and truth. The lumi themselves are honest to a fault and are known for their inability to hold back from telling others blunt and unflattering truths. They despise deception above all other offenses, and lies (or even simple illusion spells) are capital crimes within their settlements. Lumi often travel to the Material Plane to battle wielders of negative energy or known deceivers. This can make them allies of good-aligned adventurers for a time, but they put their own code of honesty and truth ahead of the well-being of others. They think nothing of slaying those who offend their morality. An average lumi stands between 5 and 7 feet in height and weighs 100 to 300 pounds. Lumi speak their own language, Lumi, as well as Common.
The lumi are dedicated to wiping out liars and other deceivers; they would like nothing more than to invade the Material Plane and execute every dishonest creature. Fortunately, their numbers are far too few for such a scourge—so far. The lumi’s numbers are growing quickly. Some worry that within less than twenty years, the lumi may have enough soldiers to enact their envisioned cleansing. Such an invasion is likely to have grave consequences.
- +2 Strength, +4 Constitution, +4 Wisdom, –2 Dexterity.
- Medium size.
- A lumi’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A lumi begins with two levels of outsider, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A lumi’s outsider levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (8 + Int modifi er). Its class skills are Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (the planes), Listen,
Search, Sense Motive, and Spot. Lumi have a +2 racial bonus on Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.
- Racial Feats: A lumi’s outsider levels give it one feat. It gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
- Special Attacks:
- Spell-Like Abilities: At will—disrupt undead (DC 10), light; 3/day—cure light wounds, glitterdust (DC 12). Caster level 3rd.
- Special Qualities:
- Body of Light (Su): A lumi’s body is infused with a softly glowing positive energy. It is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects (such as from inflict spells or chill touch). Lumi are adapted to live on the Positive Energy Plane. They never gain additional temporary hit points as a result of being on a plane with the major positive-dominant energy trait (see Manual of the Planes, page 12), and thus are never in danger of exploding when on the Positive Energy Plane. They still gain full benefit from the fast healing ability of planes with any positive-energy trait. A lumi sheds white light in a 5-foot radius at all times. It cannot voluntarily suppress this ability, though the light can be concealed by spells that create darkness.
- Clear Vision (Ex): A lumi cannot be blinded or dazzled by any effect. It can still be effectively blind due to concealment, such as by darkness or fog. It is specifically immune to color spray, rainbow pattern, searing light, sunbeam, sunburst, or other effects that use direct light as an attack form (such as a ghaele’s light ray attack). Sun blades deal only nonlethal damage to a lumi.
- Floating Head (Ex): A lumi’s head naturally floats a few inches above its shoulders. The creature can rotate its head in any direction but cannot raise, lower, or otherwise move its head away from where it floats; an unseen force prevents others from moving its head as well. Opponents who flank a lumi do not gain the normal +2 bonus on attack rolls. Lumi are immune to the decapitation power of a vorpal weapon. They may not be strangled and are immune to suffocation.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Lumi. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Dwarven, Infernal.
- Favored Class: Cleric. All lumi clerics channel positive energy regardless of their alignment. A lumi cleric worships Light and can choose from the Law, Sun, and War domains.
- Level Adjustment +2.