Multiverse is a common slang term that refers to an over-arching "multiplicity of universes" created by the grouping of planes. An alternative term with the same meaning is Cosmology.
List of D&D Multiverses
- The Great Wheel is the oldest D&D cosmology, originating in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and developed by the Planescape setting. It is considered the "iconic" multiverse.
- The World Tree is a cosmology unique to the Forgotten Realms setting.
- The World Axis is a cosmology invented for Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, and is synonymous with the Nentir Vale setting.
- The Great Beyond is the cosmology Pathfinder created for its Golarion setting, and in many ways represents a blending point of the Great Wheel and World Axis.
- The Orrery is the fan-nickname for the unique cosmology of the Eberron setting.