A Necron Dynasty is a social division of the Necrontyr Empire, consisting of a ruling family (the actual dynasty, and the source of the dynasty's name) and the associated courts, lesser nobles, and serfs. When the Necrontyr were upgraded into Necrons, the Dynasties were retained and used as military divisions, enforced by the command protocols implanted in the biotransference process.
Each Dynasty is ruled by a Phaeron, who has a Royal Court of Crypteks and Overlords to advise him and to whom he can delegate tasks. Each Overlord rules a small collection of Tomb Worlds that belong to the Dynasty, and has a court of Crypteks and Lords, the latter of whom rule a single world each. The Lords may have courts of their own, consisting of even lesser nobles who may oversee particular aspects of a Tomb World's operation or its forces, and so on down the layers of nobility. Even the most minor nobles keep a few unusually bright Immortals or other servants on hand, though at this point the court is not very "Royal" at all.
The actual titles used vary from Dynasty to Dynasty (and even among the Houses within a Dynasty), though some are common across all Dynasties. For example, the overall commander on a battlefield will be called "nemesor".
Each Dynasty has a glyph used to mark nobles and vehicles belonging to the Dynasty. The most senior nobles bear the full mark, while lesser nobles and their war machines may only bear a part of it. Warriors and Immortals are not considered worthy of the honor of being marked by a house, being completely interchangeable and almost totally expendable -- they only get the Ankh of the Triarch and, optionally, may be painted in the colors of their house.
- Szarekhan Dynasty: The ones that are run by the Silent King himself!
- Sautekh Dynasty: The current largest and most powerful.
- Maynarkh Dynasty: The one that relives the golden memories of the silent and crazy Necrons!
- Nihilakh Dynasty: The ones with a better looking color job than the Thokt.
- Mephrit Dynasty: The ones that destroy stars for a living. And the color scheme that's literally a fucking Terminator.
- Thokt Dynasty: The ones with a better looking color job than the Nihilakh.
- Nekthyst Dynasty: A bunch of dishonorable dicks.
- Khansu Dynasty: One of the few Dynasties which fully rejected the biotransference and revolted, minus a minor prince who the C'tan promoted to Phaeron. Because of this the Dynasty was used as cannon fodder during the War in Heaven until only the Phaeron remained.
- Altymhor Dynasty: One of the few Necron Dynasties that keep non-Necron slaves.
- Charnovokh Dynasty: The ones that awoke to Tyranids rudely gnawing at their tombworlds.
- Ogdobekh Dynasty: Good pals with the Crypteks, which helped most of their technology and war-machines survive the Great Sleep.
- Novokh Dynasty: The ones that use the Galaxy's meat-races as face paint and blow up moons.
- Nephrekh Dynasty: Photosynthesise gold from sunlight and are above all grossly incandescent. Want to become beings of pure light.
- Oruscar Dynasty: Bitter rivals with the Sautekh Dynasty and are in possession of the Celestial Orrey.
- Akannazad Dynasty: Often attacked by Orks due to their territory bordering the Ork Empire of Charadon.
- Ammunos Dynasty: A secret and paranoid dynasty, its last Phaeron Nephreth was said to be immune to the genetic problems of the Necrontyr and had the only pure DNA of his race. Nephreth opposed Biotransference and launched a rebellion to stop the C'tan. In the Necron dramas, Nephreth died at the hands of the Burning One. According to Trazyn, he was actually murdered by his family to broker peace with the C'tan and had his body placed in stasis in case the dynasty wanted to revert the Biotransference using his DNA. The whole dynasty ended up getting wiped out by a solar flare in their sleep.
- Arotepk Dynasty: Raided an Eldar Maiden World for a shard of The Void Dragon, which ended up escaping and rampaging before being recovered by the dynasty's Crypteks.
- Arrynmarok Dynasty: Pledged allegiance to the Sautekh Dynasty for protection from an Eldar invasion force.
- Atun Dynasty: Said to hold many of the galaxy's ancient wonders.
- Dyvanakh Dynasty: Repelled a siege from a nearby Forge World while suffering from a hibernation-induced hangover, then set out to find their missing Tomb Worlds which had been destroyed by a Warp Storm thousands of years ago.
- Empire of the Severed: Every Necron in the dynasty had been rendered mindless while sleeping thanks to radiation storms. The master program of the dynasty's Tomb World saw the quiet order it had brought to the world of Sarkon and resolved to bring that order to others, not realizing it too had been damaged by the storms. The master program, now calling itself the Sarkoni Emperor, conquered several nearby Tomb Worlds and has begun to conquer non-Necron worlds with the help of Mindshackle Scarabs.
- Hyrekh Dynasty: Wiped out by Craftworld Alaitoc, who predicted exactly when the dynasty would awaken and was ready for them.
- Kayra Dynasty: Got into a feud with the Rytak Dynasty and dispatched Deathmarks to assassinate their Phaeron at the same time the other dynasty did, leaving them both leaderless.
- Rytak Dynasty: In addition to their feud with the Kayra Dynasty, they also had a seat on the Awakened Council to resolve disputes between Necrons before the return of the Silent King.
- Oltep Dynasty: Woke up to find the Khornate Daemon Prince Beublghor ruling over their Tomb World, who then promptly annihilated the dynasty in the hollowed out core of the world after having previously slaughtered the world's human population.
- Oroskh Dynasty: Slowly dying out from the Flayer Virus after getting infected by Craftworld Alaitoc.
- Sarnekh Dynasty: Had a massive naval battle against the Eldar during the War in Heaven, and were protected in their sleep by all the wreckage orbiting their Tomb World. Their current Phaeron came to power by overriding the Tomb World's master control system, and he now stylizes himself as a pirate king.
- Sekemtar Dynasty: Conquered by Imotekh during the Wars of Secession, and are now a vassal dynasty of the Sautekh Dynasty.
- Suhbekhar Dynasty: Featured in the Outer Reach expansion for the Deathwatch RPG.
- Kardenath Dynasty: Waging an omnicidal war on the galaxy and are trying to get the Celestial Orrey for themselves.
- Ketatrix Dynasty: The dynasty featured in the first Warhammer Adventures novel.
- Agdagath Dynasty: Had to abandon one of its Tomb Worlds after it was overrun by Flayed Ones.
- Neokhares Dynasty: The dynasty that controlled the World Engine.
- Ithakas Dynasty: Phareon contracted the flayer virus and the dynasty imploded. Lost it's crownworld to an imperial crusade. Currently ruled by Oltyx. Had a messy war with Ogdobekh shortly biotransference.
On the tabletop, a Dynasty is like a Space Marine Chapter: each has its own characters and color schemes, and with the advent of the 8e Codex, <DYNASTY> specific rules and abilities apply depending on your chosen characters and units.
9th Edition added Command Protocols to the Necrons as a whole, turn-long buffs which you have to order ahead of the game. With that, another perk specific to each major Dynasty : each gets a favorite protocol who they benefit extra from - instead of having to choose one of two Directives (i.e. buffs) they get both. Neat, as some of them can give a scary amount of perks to Your Guys.
- Necron Army Creation Tables, a set of tables that allows you to create your very own Dynasty or Army.
|Governments, Empires, Nations and Astropolitical Powers of the Galaxy|
|Imperial Human Powers:||Imperium of Man (Adeptus Mechanicus - Ultramar) - Squat Homeworlds|
|Renegade Human Powers:||Severan Dominate|
|Chaos Powers:||New Kingdom (Sortiarian Occupation - Prospero/Sortiarius) |
Blood Pact - Scourge Stars
|Eldar Powers:||Commorragh - Craftworlds (Alaitoc - Altansar - Biel-tan - Iyanden |
Saim-Hann - Ulthwé)
|Necron Powers:||Atun Dynasty - Charnovokh Dynasty - Maynarkh Dynasty - Mephrit Dynasty |
Nekthyst Dynasty - Nephrekh Dynasty - Nihilakh Dynasty - Novokh Dynasty
Ogdobekh Dynasty - Oruscar Dynasty - Sautekh Dynasty - Szarekhan Dynasty
|Ork Powers:||Ork Empire of Charadon - Ork Empire of Octarius - Ork Empire of Bork |
Ork Empire of Dregruk - Ork Empire of Calverna - Ork Empire of Jagga
|Tau Powers:||Tau Empire - Farsight Enclaves|
|Other Xenos Powers:||Q'Orl Swarmhood - Fra'al Satrapies|