|This article contains something which makes absolutely no logical sense, such as Nazi Zombie Mercenaries, Fucking Space Orangutans, anything written by a certain Irish leper or Robin Crud-ace, Matt Ward creating (against all odds) a codex that isn't completely broken on every level. If you proceed, consider yourself warned.|
Normality is a (supremely fucked up) RPG created by Hugh Dingwall and Vishãla Jekic. In this game you play as a person living in a world where God may or may not have been lobotomized and that may or may not have screwed-up the world. Facts about the game's setting are hard to come by as most details (save for a few in the DM supplement) are all presented as being far from certain, which is the goal of the game, as it is said to reach for an abstract, expressionist insight into the setting in opposition to a clear-cut specific setting, which would allow players to seperate themselves emotionnaly from the characters they play.
Every campaign has the same basic format: in a shitty fucked-up world where America went completely berzerk after 9/11, possibly because of the above-mentioned God-botomy, the player characters gradually experience more and stronger fantastical phenomena that have the potential to fix the world. There are two possible conclusions: either the world is saved, likely at great cost such as the lives of one or more of the protagonists, or the protagonists were delusional all along and are mercilessly gunned down like the raving snarling animals they are. The GM is explicitly encouraged to decide which of these will happen before the game even begins.
Things that genuinely happened:
- A girl was raped by her teacher. She and her classmates dealt with this by murdering him and were later shot by police after their eventual killing spree expanded to include several innocent people.
- The pure magic of mythology was returned to the world in the form of a phoenix hatched from a cue ball.
- A woman was kidnapped from the street, rechristened and installed (singing her soul out) in a radio station as a sort of psychic beacon. This was what she was born to do.
- Several schoolchildren lost the ability to think independently of one another - becoming a primitive (and barely functional) group mind.
- A girl gained psychic abilities after following the telepathic instructions she was given by river dolphins. She had never seen dolphins or, for that matter, a river.
Things that may or not be why the world is as it is:(mostly lies)
- The Maori Jesus was in fact the Messiah - when he was lobotomized, the slide into kleen barbarism began.
- Psychedelic/Psychic warfare has performed the same operation to the world’s mental space as nuclear weapons did to Hiroshima.
- The G. W. Bush administration never left power and became a dynastic military regime.
- Magic, having been suppressed by scientific/capitalistic materialism and religious bigotry has begun seeping back into the world, but has turned septic in the interim.
- Things are heading that way right now if you’re of a particularly cynical and fatalistic bent.