Not as planned
" No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."
- – first spoken by Helmuth von Moltke. Later adopted by the Ultramarines during the Great Crusade. The Lion was known to have said it at some point too.
"Not as planned" is what you say when things are the exact opposite of being Just As Planned.
The Imperium is a good example of Not as planned from the Emperor's point of view, who originally envisioned a secular empire based on logic and knowledge. See also the Fall of the Eldar.
Expect to say it a lot if you worship Zuvassin (who is the Chaos God of NOT AS PLANNED). Also, expect to say this if your unit is utterly outwitted by tactical geniu- CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!
Examples of not as planned
- the Kingpriest of Istar's edict against all evil.
- Aroden, almost the Christ of Golarion.
- How Shattados became "unquestioned ruler" of the Bright Desert.
- The outcome of the Great Crusade.
- The Battle of Isstvan III lasting longer than Horus intended, thanks to Saul Tarvitz figuring out what was going to happen and getting as much loyalists as he could to shelter before the bombs fell, and Angron setting foot onto Isstvan before Horus could mop up the survivors from orbit, forcing the Warmaster to commit boots to the ground instead. All this while Tarvitz sent Nathaniel Garro, along with other surviving loyalists, to warn the greater Imperium about the betrayal.
- The Space Wolves surviving the Burning of Prospero due to Magnus the Red sitting out the fight (Tzeentch somehow didn't plan for that, so it "saved" the Thousand Sons as a reward).
- The Outcast Dead hints that the Emperor learned something relevant to the duel with Horus that might still manage to screw over the Chaos Gods after being mortally wounded. When asked by the Outcast if they would ever see each other again he gives the enigmatic answer that nothing is certain as far as the Warp is concerned (a hint that we might see the return of the Emprah in all his physical glory if the storyline ever really progresses?)
- The Imperium of Man in all its current unwholesome glory!*BLAM*
- The fall of the Eldar, perfect for lolz.
- Black Crusades by a certain armless failure… (although canonically they actually were Just As Planned. Well, except maybe that one that tossed Failbaddon right into the middle of a ton of orks, but Abaddabbadoo still got something out of it).
- Even the 13th Black Crusade, the one where Abby actually won something significant by blowing up Cadia, falls under this as he only threw that Blackstone Fortress on the planet after some meddlers turned on the Pylons. The after-effects of this event were also unexpected, as it did throw off the planning of the many forces of Chaos before re-strategizing and going onward.
- Loose C'tan shards (just roaming around the galaxy)
- Everything the Inquisition does to try and strengthen humanity (it all goes tits up, time after time).
- Playing Tau against Tyranids in cityfighting scenario.
- Playing Tyranids against Tau in anything BUT a cityfighting scenario.
- Playing an army entirely in reserve and suffering spontaneous existence failure.
- 7th Edition and all the non-powercreep codices for said edition (that said, the Daemonology powers are a nice addition, although trying to use them as a non-daemon or GK SUCKS BALLS).
- 7th Edition Eldar nerf. Because making best codex in the game even stronger is a great idea. But hey, you cried about Serpents, and GW toned it down!
- A dying cell giving death the middle finger and deciding to persist.