Plasmoids are a race of sapient slimes from the Spelljammer setting of Dungeons & Dragons, able to contort and mold themselves into primitive semblances of the humanoid form. They are characterized as clannish but rather childlike; highly curious, easily entertained, and nearly as easily fascinated, with a bad tendency to eat other items at random. They are natural adventurers because of this constant desire for entertainment, but also genuinely enjoy treasure and power for their own sake. According to their original Spelljammer lore, they enjoy philosophical debates, storytelling, and they are commonly employed in the political arena because of their near-tireless ability to speak about nothing at great length. Also according to the original Spelljammer lore, they are described to be incredibly heavy, with the deGleash subrace being described as weighing 2,000 pounds on average at medium size, 4,000 at large size, and 8,000 pounds at huge size.
Annoying as they can be, plasmoids are also legendarily loyal, and if you make a plasmoid friend, they'll be faithful to you forever... but they're not beyond deceit, so don't take them too lightly.
In Spelljammer canon, there are three major subraces of plasmoids; deGleash favor a more ooze-like form, DelNorics favor a more humanoid form, and Ontalaks are giant plasmoids who are essentially the mimics of Wildspace, disguising themselves as spelljammers in order to travel the stars and find food. deGleash and DelNorics have a bitter enmity for each other and are constantly at war, whilst Ontalaks just ignore everybody.
Apparently they shun piercing weapons, but the artwork of them for some reason default to equipping them with weapons such as spears and bows which are piercing weapons, contradicting their supposed avoidance of these weapons.
Promoted to Playable
Plasmoids made a surprising appearance as a draft PC race in the Unearthed Arcana article "Travelers of the Multiverse". Having come out post-Tasha's Caldron, they get no racial ability score modifiers and instead just put a +2/+1 or a +1/+1/+1 wherever they please. In April of 2022, the first Spelljammer supplement for fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons, Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, was announced, and it will include the Plasmoids as a playable race.
- Creature Type: Ooze
- Size: Medium or Small
- Speed: 30 feet
- Darkvision 60 feet
- Amorphous: You can squeeze through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide, provided you are wearing and carrying nothing. You also have advantage on ability checks you make to initiate or escape a grapple.
- Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for 1 hour.
- Natural Resilience: You have resistance to acid and poison damage, and you have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned.
- Shape Self: If you are not incapacitated, you can reshape your body to give yourself a head, one or two arms, one or two legs, and makeshift hands and feet, or you can revert to a limbless blob (no action required). As a bonus action, you can extrude a pseudopod that is up to 6 inches wide and 10 feet long or reabsorb it into your body. You can use this pseudopod to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour out the contents of a container. The pseudopod can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
The old lore states that "Plasmoids love treasure and power; Thus adventuring has attracted their attention," suggesting that they would be a good fit for a playable race in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons as most player characters are adventurers, but it was only in fifth edition that they would be officially made a playable race.
The lore says that "Plasmoids can stiffen the outer layers of their bodies to maintain a human like shape", like every monster girl hentai that has slimes in it, is the part left unsaid here. . . Due to the genericization of weights, heights, and maximum ages, the Plasmoids may be retconned into regular humanoid weights and not be 2,000 pounds like the old lore states. . .
AD&D Monster Lore
- http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/p/plsmoid.html?plsmoid - General Lore
- http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/p/plsmdegl.html - deGleash lore
- http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/p/plsmdeln.html - DelNoric Lore
- http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/p/plsmonta.html - Ontalak Lore