The Prime Material Plane is a term used in Dungeons & Dragons to refer to the physical universe as a whole, in comparison to more fantastical and magical realms such as the Astral Sea, Elemental Chaos or Outer Planes. It essentially functions like our own real-world universe; an enormous mass of space with stars, moons and planets in it, with the various campaign settings being inhabitable Earth-like planets within this universe. This makes it the most "normal" of the various planes.
Spelljammer is intimately tied to the Prime Material plane in that its nature as the "star fantasy D&D setting" makes it naturally serve as the default way for traveling between the various worlds of the Prime Material. It divides the Prime Material into three different components; planets, Wildspace and the Phlogiston.
In the World Axis cosmology, the Prime Material is also referred to simply as "The World".
Notable Worlds of the Prime Material
- Abeir-Toril: The setting for Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms, The Horde, Kara-Tur, and Maztica.
- Aebrynis: The setting for Birthright.
- Athas: The setting for Dark Sun.
- Brun: The setting for Hollow World, Mystara, and Red Steel/Savage Coast.
- Eberron: The setting for Eberron.
- Exandria: The setting for Exandria.
- Gothic Earth: The setting for the Masque of the Red Death.
- Krynn: The setting for Dragonlance.
- Nerath: The setting for Nentir Vale.
- Oerth: The setting for Greyhawk and Sundered Empire.
- Ortho: Harmonium's world of origin.
|The Cosmology of the World Axis|
|The Cosmology of Planescape|
|Inner Planes||Ethereal Plane||Prime Material||Astral Plane||Outer Planes|
|Elemental Planes||Energy Planes||Demiplane of Dread||Plane of Shadow||Plane of Mirrors|
|World Serpent Inn||Tu'narath||Sigil||Demiplanes||Ordial Plane?|