The Red Falcons are a twisted order of nature-loving fighters and clerics in the world of Dungeons & Dragons, who are sworn to pursue a dark vision of nature run rampant; they seek the destruction of civilization and the promotion of nature at its most dark and cruel, an act for which they are blessed by savage gods and malign fey with the ability to transform into monstrous crimson-feathered falcons. In this, they are a dark reflection of the Swanmays, who are some of their fiercest enemies.
A Red Falcon typically lives in a crude cabin in a dark woodland or rocky hilltop - sometimes they live together in small hamlets. Their mission makes them an enemy of benevolent sylvan beings, such as treants, unicorns and dryads, but an ally of malign fey, green dragons and goblinoids. Common patron gods include the likes of Malar and the Queen of Air and Darkness. That said, because many evil humanoid races are willing to destroy nature, such as orcs, Red Falcons have been known to make strange alliances of convenience to battle these defilers - more anti-civilization druidic orders, such as the Shadow Druids, are fairly regular allies of theirs.
Membership in the order is only offered to those who have compatible beliefs and who have done a great favor for either an existent Red Falcon or for the order as a whole. As part of their initiation, a Red Falcon is cut with an enchanted blade; this seals their connection to the blade, which powers their ability to transform, and also creates an angry red scar on their face or hand, which is used to signal membership to fellow Red Falcons. The blade becomes their talons in falcon form, and should it be lost, they cannot transform until they recover it or until they complete a grueling quest to prove themselves worthy of being granted a replacement blade.
For obvious reasons, Red Falcons look for signs, portents and omens in nature - especially amongst its more violent manifestations, such as storms, earthquakes, floods and volcanic eruptions.
- Ability Score Minimum/Maximum: Strength 14/19, Dexterity 9/17, Constitution 12/18, Intelligence 10/18, Wisdom 10/18, Charisma 9/18
- Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Strength, -1 Dexterity
- Class Restrictions: Fighter 14, Cleric 12, Crusader 12
- Available Kits: Tribal Defender and Sellsword for Fighters, Oracle and Wandering Mystic for Clerics & Crusaders
- Required Alignment: Any Evil
- Natural Armor Class: 10
- Base Movement Rate: 12
- Falcon Form: In Falcon Form, a Red Falcon's NAC changes to 5 and its BMR changes to 1/Fly 36 (Maneuverability B). It is also immune to non-magical weapons (+1 or better required), and has Magic Resistance (2 X Level)%. It can also make two claw attacks (1d2) and a peck attack (1d3).
- Holy Blade: A Red Falcon Cleric can become proficient in the Sword (Any), Dagger and Knife.
- Weapon Proficiencies: Sword (Any), Dagger, Knife
- Non-Weapon Proficiencies: Alertness, Animal Handling, Animal Lore, Animal Noise, Blind-Fighting, Close-Quarter Fighting, Danger Sense, Direction Sense, Fire-Building, Fishing, Hiding, Hunting, Intimidation, Looting, Natural Fighting, Set Snares, Survival (Forests, Hills, Mountains), Swimming, Tracking, Weather Sense, Wild Fighting