"My people are impatient--I shall teach them patience. My people are cowards--I shall teach them courage. My people think only of today--I shall teach them to think of tomorrow. My people lust for elven blood--this requires no teaching."
- – Dukagsh
Basically, long ago, the Imperial Elven Fleet kicked the asses of orcs and goblinoids all over the Prime Material. One band of orcs swore that this time, they would learn from their defeat and overcome their weaknesses, so they could crush the hated elves. Forsaking Gruumsh as a bloodthirsty idiot whose teachings would lead them nowhere, the Scro founded a new society, one based on strict martial discipline and dedicated unity, under the leadership of a venerated orcish savant named Dukagsh. Essentially, they went from being stereotypical barbarians to being more badass orc not-quite-Nazis. Your typical scro is much taller, stronger and healthier than a typical orc, neatly dressed, and conducts himself with almost elf-like tact and decorum (and arrogance) when interacting with others - they see it as demonstrating their superiority by not lowering themselves to the level of other beings.
The Scro first appeared as a PC option in the Complete Spacefarer's Handbook for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, where they were unique in being the only new PC race who weren't some flavor of furry. Their stats were as follows:
- Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Strength, -2 Charisma
- Minimum Ability Scores: Strength 8, Dexterity 3, Constitution 8, Intelligence 3, Wisdom 3, Charisma 3
- Maximum Ability Scores: Strength 18, Dexterity 18, Constitution 18, Intelligence 17, Wisdom 16, Charisma 18
- Class & Level Limits: Cleric (5th level), Fighter (15th level), Wizard (5th level), Rogue (5th level)
- Scro "Warpriests" are always multi-classed Cleric/Wizards
- Warpriests have access to the Spheres of All, Charm, Combat, Elemental, Guardian, Healing, Protection and Summoning
- Infravision 60 feet
- Bite attack for 1d3 damage
With Spelljammer falling into obscurity, 3.5 stats for Scro didn't appear until Dragon Magazine #339:
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
- Base speed 30 feet
- Darkvision 60 feet
- Orc Blood: Treat as being Orc for any effect related to race.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against elves.
- Favored Class: Monk, although Scro traditions means that most multiclass as Monk/Fighters, and casters multiclass between divine and arcane casters.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition Races|
|Core:||Dwarf - Elf - Gnome - Half-Elf - Half-Orc - Halfling - Human|
|Dark Sun:||Aarakocra - Half-Giant - Mul - Pterran - Thri-kreen|
|Dragonlance:||Draconian - Irda - Kender - Minotaur|
|Mystara:||Aranea - Ee'ar - Enduk - Lizardfolk (Cayma - Gurrash - Shazak) |
Lupin - Manscorpion - Phanaton - Rakasta - Tortle - Wallara
|Oriental Adventures:||Korobokuru - Hengeyokai - Spirit Folk|
|Planescape:||Aasimar - Bariaur - Genasi - Githyanki - Githzerai - Modron - Tiefling|
|Spelljammer:||Dracon - Giff - Grommam - Hadozee - Hurwaeti - Rastipede - Scro - Xixchil|
|Ravenloft:||Broken One - Flesh Golem - Half-Vistani - Therianthrope|
Book of X:
|Alaghi - Beastman - Bugbear - Bullywug - Centaur - Duergar |
Fremlin - Firbolg - Flind - Gnoll - Goblin - Half-Ogre - Hobgoblin
Kobold - Mongrelfolk - Ogre - Ogre Mage - Orc - Pixie
Satyr - Saurial - Svirfneblin - Swanmay - Voadkyn - Wemic
|Dragon Magazine:||Half-Dryad - Half-Satyr - Uldra - Xvart|