Shazak is the tribal/cultural name of the lizardfolk species indigenous to the Dungeons & Dragons realm of Mystara. They were first introduced to the D&D world as part of an article in Dragon Magazine #185, being the subject of one of the last parts in the story of The Voyage of the Princess Ark. This article presented them with mechanics to be playable for "Basic" Dungeons & Dragons, whilst they would later receive an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons update in two splatbooks published as part of AD&D's Odyssey line: Characters of the Savage Coast, and Orc's Head: Sourcebook.
Basic D&D Stats
When they first appeared in Dragon #185, Shazak players were told to use the character advancement system given in GAZ10 Orcs of Thar.
- +1 Str and -1 Wis.
- Shazaks start with 1d4+2 Intelligence. Each time they gain a level, they make a 1d20 Int check. If the check is failed, they gain one point of Int, up to a limit of 12.
- Charisma only applies to other Lizardfolk races. Penalize Cha -2 when dealing with humanoids, and -5 when dealing with demihumans or humans.
- Can hide in swamp vegetation (30% chance at least 10' from observer).
- Infravision and natural AC of 7.
- Addition of any armor of AC7 or worse only gives natural AC bonus of +1.
|Shazak Level||Experience||d8 Hit Dice|
|9||606,000||+2 hit points (no Constitution bonus)|
|Subsequent||300,000||+2 hit points (no Constitution bonus)|
If you want to be a spellcaster, you have to recalculate the experience.
|Spellcasting Level||Extra XP required|
- Ability Score Minimum/Maximum: Strength 8/18, Dexterity 3/18, Constitution 6/18, Intelligence 3/17, Wisdom 3/18, Charisma 3/16
- Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Strength, -1 Wisdom
- Racial Class & Level Limits: Cleric 7, Fighter 12, [[Mage] 7, Thief 11, Bard 8
- Racial Thieving Skill Adjustments: -5% Pick Pockets, -5% Open Locks, +5% Move Silently, +5% Hide in Shadows, +5% (+20% in swamps), Detect Noise, -5% Climb Walls, -5% Read Languages
- Infravision 60 feet
- A non-thief Shazak has a 20% Hide in Shadows chance when in swamp environments.
- Shazaks gain Swimming as a bonus proficiency.
- Shazaks can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to 2/3 of their Constitution score (rounding up).
- Shazaks can attack with both clawed hands (1d2 Slashing damage) and with their toothy bite (1d6 Slashing damage).
- Natural Armor Class: 5
The same image redrawn in the Champions of Mystara splatbook.
|Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition Races|
|Basic Set:||Dwarf - Elf - Hobbit - Human|
|Creature Crucible 1:||Brownie - Centaur - Dryad - Faun - Hsiao |
Leprechaun - Pixie - Pooka - Redcap - Sidhe
Sprite - Treant - Wood Imp - Wooddrake
|Creature Crucible 2:||Faenare - Gnome - Gremlin - Harpy |
Nagpa - Pegataur - Sphinx - Tabi
|Creature Crucible 3:||Kna - Kopru - Merrow - Nixie |
Sea Giant - Shark-kin - Triton
|Dragon Magazine:||Cayma - Gatorman - Lupin - N'djatwa |
Phanaton - Rakasta - Shazak - Wallara
|Hollow World:||Beastman - Brute-Man - Hutaakan |
Krugel Orc - Kubitt - Malpheggi Lizard Man
|Known World:||Bugbear - Goblin - Gnoll |
Hobgoblin - Kobold - Ogre - Troll
|Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition Races|
|Core:||Dwarf - Elf - Gnome - Half-Elf - Half-Orc - Halfling - Human|
|Dark Sun:||Aarakocra - Half-Giant - Mul - Pterran - Thri-kreen|
|Dragonlance:||Draconian - Irda - Kender - Minotaur|
|Mystara:||Aranea - Ee'ar - Enduk - Lizardfolk (Cayma - Gurrash - Shazak) |
Lupin - Manscorpion - Phanaton - Rakasta - Tortle - Wallara
|Oriental Adventures:||Korobokuru - Hengeyokai - Spirit Folk|
|Planescape:||Aasimar - Bariaur - Genasi - Githyanki - Githzerai - Modron - Tiefling|
|Spelljammer:||Dracon - Giff - Grommam - Hadozee - Hurwaeti - Rastipede - Scro - Xixchil|
|Ravenloft:||Broken One - Flesh Golem - Half-Vistani - Therianthrope|
Book of X:
|Alaghi - Beastman - Bugbear - Bullywug - Centaur - Duergar |
Fremlin - Firbolg - Flind - Gnoll - Goblin - Half-Ogre - Hobgoblin
Kobold - Mongrelfolk - Ogre - Ogre Mage - Orc - Pixie
Satyr - Saurial - Svirfneblin - Swanmay - Voadkyn - Wemic
|Dragon Magazine:||Half-Dryad - Half-Satyr - Uldra - Xvart|