Skittermanders are one of Starfinder's more iconic races, having been the focus of Paizo's Free RPG Day specials in the same way that Goblins are for Pathfinder...except these guys aren't homicidal lunatics. They also look like little neon-colored puffballs with six arms and two legs, making them ideal to make plushies to sell on Etsy or something. Paizo is more than aware of their popularity, and even has Skittermander accessories for sale on their store.
These critters are the natives of Vesk-3, having accepted their annexation to the Veskarium with an unnerving amount of glee. In fact, they actually helped the lizardmen with getting the government set up because they're mentally like children, but they never seemed to understand that they were going to be ruled over. Their helpful nature proved to be too much of an asset for the Vesk to ignore, despite their cheeriness and inability to accept subjugation pissing them off to no end. This is because Skittermanders apparently don't have a concept of "authority", beyond a given task; while they are willing to take orders, in Skittermander society, the authority of any leader only lasts until the task is finished, at which point he becomes just another Skittermander. This leads to them haring off on their own once they've finished their assigned task unless carefully monitored, which is the source of much annoyance to their employers. On the other hand, they're more than happy to work for just about anybody who treats them fairly, which makes them good at fitting in with wider galactic society. If you've played Pathfinder, think "Goblins, but with less violence".
Skittermanders, despite being mammalian in nature, are born as larvae called Whelps. These Whelps are almost identical to their adult forms aside from their shorter stature and another mouth on their stomachs. However, they mature after six years and eventually lose those secondary mouths.
- Ability Score Adjustment: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence
- Bonus Hit Points: +2
- Size: Small
- Base Speed: 30 feet
- Low Light Vision
- Grappler: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Grapple combat maneuvers.
- Hyper: Once per day you can make an extra move action.
- Six-Armed: You have six arms which allows you to wield and hold up to six hands’ worth of weapons and equipment. While these multiple arms increase the number of items you can have at the ready, it doesn’t increase the number of attacks you can make during combat.
Alternate Racial Features
- Assimilated: Replace Ability Score Modifiers with +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom
- Bookish: Replace Ability Score Modifiers with +2 Intelligence.
- Curious: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception and one Profession skill of your choice. Replaces Hyper.
- Guardian: You can move into the space of a large or smaller creature. While doing so, you suffer a -2 penalty to AC, but the creature you're sharing space with gains a +1 shield bonus to AC against ranged attacks. Replaces Grappler.
- Scatter: You can only use two of your hands for holding items. However, you gain a base speed of 35 feet and a +2 racial bonus to Athletics and Acrobatics checks. Replaces Six-Armed.
- Skitterpunk: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Sense Motive, which improves to +5 when dealing with Vesk and other members of the Veskarium. Replaces Grappler.