Ssurrans are one of two species of lizardfolk native to the Dungeons & Dragons setting of Dark Sun... despite the fact that originally it was said that lizardfolk had been wiped out during the Cleansing Wars. In contrast to the "normal" lizardfolk of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, who were more like amphibians than reptiles and thus needed to routinely moisten themselves, ssurrans are completely heat immune and so can survive in even the blistering deserts that make up most of Athas. Debuting in the 2nd Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix (subtitled "Terrors Beyond Tyr"), they have a fairly simple fluff that describes them as wandering, primitive tribes of cannibalistic raiders, who are often hunted by the humans and demihumans of Athas because they are valued as gladiators, bodyguards, trackers, mercenaries and even templars when trained from their youth. Oh, and their skin can be made into a durable, heat-resistant leather armor. Their most notable trait is that they are lead by shamans, who are multiclassed fighter/(elemental) clerics.
In 4th edition, it's stated outright that ssurans would exist on other worlds as "sandscale lizardfolk", and are literally just lizardfolk adapted to thrive in deserts rather than the customary swamps. It even says that you can make ssurran variants easily by taking a lizardfolk statblock and swapping the Swamp Walk trait for the ssurran's Earth Walk trait.
Despite the above notes on "civilized" ssurrans, no PC stats for ssurrans were ever officially published. The Dark Sun fan-site known as the Burnt World of Athas did create fan-made PC stats for Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition.
Ssuran PC Stats
- +4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Ssurrans are strong and hardy, but their squat posture and thick hide makes them slightly clumsy. They have a reputation for savagery that makes it difficult for them to interact with other races.
- Medium size. Ssurran have neither benefits nor penalties due to size.
- As monstrous humanoids, ssurran characters start with 3d8 hit dice, Base Attack Bonus +3, base saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3. Ssurrans receive (2 + Intelligence modifier) x6 skill points and their class skills are Appraise, Craft, Handle Animal, Profession, Ride and Survival. A ssurran begins with two feats. Note that Ssurrans do not receive the x4 modifier when taking their first class level.
- Speed: Ssurran base speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Skills: +8 racial bonus on all Survival checks and +4 racial bonus on all Appraise and Profession (trader) checks.
- Natural Armour +3. Ssurran hide is scaly, tough and resistant to blows.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4), bite (1d4).
- Heat Tolerance (Ex): A ssurran’s scales regulate its body’s temperature in the sun. Ssurrans suffer no ill effects from hot temperatures under the sun, though fire affects them normally.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Gith, Halfling, Pterran, Thri-Kreen, Yuan-Ti.
- Favoured Class: Cleric or Druid.
- Level Adjustment: +1