|This article contains PROMOTIONS! Don't say we didn't warn you.|
|This article or section is about Monstergirls (or a monster that is frequently depicted as a Monstergirl), something that /tg/ widely considers to be the purest form of awesome. Expect PROMOTIONS! and /d/elight in equal measure, often with drawfaggotry or writefaggotry to match.|
This article is about the creature. For the Dark Eldar unit, see Succubi.
Succubi are one of the oldest forms of monstergirls in Western culture, being that they are naughty she-demons who visit people in the middle of the night to have sex with them. They began in medieval Christian tradition as an explanation for morning wood, wet dreams and unexplained pregnancies (courtesy of their male equivalents, incubi - said in some lore to actually be succubi shapeshifted into male forms after they harvested semen by having sex with some man), and have developed from there.
Common attributes; really horny and/or very good at sex, and shapeshifting. Many modern portrayals portray them as able to weaken or even kill people with a touch/by kissing them/by having sex with them, since they're supposed to be scary demons and "sexy woman who willingly jumps your bones in the middle of the night" isn't as scary now as it was back then. Of course the fear likely comes from the fact succubi are supposedly horribly fugly, wrinkly crone-things. Succubi are also the go-to "demonic monstergirls" of the modern era; since they're supposed to be all about sexing people anyone, it's not that big of a jump, and succubi are probably, due to the fuckhueg cockmongling degeneracy of humanity these days, as opposed to when the raeping an upstanding man by an infernally hot demon chick was considered a curse, the most likely candidates you'll see for "good" demon type characters (for example, lawful good succubus paladin Eludecia or Fall-From-Grace).
Daemonettes are one of the more fucked-up incarnations of succubi in modern culture, being not only sex-crazed she-demons, but also soul-eating monsters AND sadomasochistic psychopathic killers, so they love to mix sex and violence in ways that they really, really shouldn't be mixed.
For the male equivalent of the species, see Incubus.
Succubi in D&D
Naturally, in Dungeons & Dragons, succubi have been around since the beginning.
Originally, they were classified as Demons, on their basis of being all about tempting mortals into sins of passion. Since these were the days of alignment-based grid-filling, naturally, they got a Devil counterpart, the Erinyes. They also had a half-fiend offspring unique to them; the female Alu-Fiends, who served as contrast to the always-male, tanari'ri-fathered cambions, though after 2e "cambion" became a more general term for a half-fiend in general.
In 4e, Demons and Devils were separated from their former alignment-based nature. Demons became elemental forces of destruction and madness, whilst Devils became corruptors and soul-harvesting manipulators. For this reason, the succubus moved over to the Devil side, since "seduces mortals into giving up their souls" is closer to the devils' schtick than it is the demons' "destroy everything, drive people insane, let the multiverse burn!" The Erinyes remained in this edition, and was still a devil, but became a ruthlessly disciplined warrior-bitch instead of a seductress, which is fitting since their name comes from the Greek spirits called the Furies who were divine punishment for particularly nasty shit. A dedicated "Ecology of the Succubus" article in Dragon Magazine #417, prefaced "Fallen Angels", explained that the World Axis version of the succubus originated as Angels of Love. These Angels were damned by a combination of reverence for Asmodeus and a deep yearning to be free to spread love as they saw fit, rather than coaxing and manipulating love and passion only as the gods themselves commanded, and when their well-intentioned revolt was punished, their feelings of desire were corrupted into a deep, yawning void in their
underwear souls - hence the infamous draining succ kiss of the succubus.
In 5e, succubi got separated from the Demon/Devil divide entirely. They're now a Neutral Evil race of soul-harvesting hedonists who can be found throughout the Lower Planes, happily living alongside demons, devils, yugoloths, rakshasas or whatever so long as they get to keep getting their rocks off; they are not demons anymore, they are not devils anymore, they are simply non-specific Fiends. Given their alignment-free nature they've become something of a counterpart to the angels employed by various Good deities. Eirenyes remain Devil warrior-bitches, which as mentioned above is more in line with their mythological basis.
Whether or not their classic male counterparts the Incubus were a thing varies from edition to edition, and even sourcebook to sourcebook. Incubi have variously been described as either "exactly like succubi, but male instead of female", "there are no incubi, there are just succubi who prefer to wear male bodies", or "they're an entirely separate species of demon/devil/whatever".
For example, in 3.5 and Pathfinder, succubi who had male identities and preferred male forms existed, but there were also "true" incubi, who were a separate species and described as basically psycho-rapists, since "of course" a fiendish incarnation of male sexuality will be all about forcing itself on others.
In 4th edition, incubi are succubi who followed Graz'zt to the Abyss and were corrupted into demons; they're still charmers and manipulators, and in fact this is the one incubus in D&D that isn't about straight up rape, but instead charms and manipulates a victim before killing them, just like a common succubus. 4e incubi are master shapeshifters, capable of becoming a humanoid, a beast, or a self-aware dream as they see fit. They use their dream-form to infiltrate the minds of slumbering victims, tempting and manipulating them, coaxing them into the arms of their humanoid forms, all the while assuming beast form to hunt, terrorize and slaughter freely elsewhere. They serve Graz'zt as scouts, assassins and other agents of disrupting, building clusters of broken-souled, lust-addled victims who will do anything for their master's
Wand of Wonder embrace... and are ultimately consumed when the incubus' hunger for China blood and souls is piqued by their corruption.
In 5e, succubi and incubi are exactly the same, being simply different names for two sexes of the same fiendish race, due to their shape shifting nature making a given one able to shift between the two as they please.
Although many DMs consider succubi to be amongst the most inherently redeemable of fiends - after all, they are creatures of lust, and lust is close to love, and love redeeming is one really old concept - actually playing them tends to be a no-no. After all, in addition to the long litany of standard powers & resistances that come from being fiends, succubi have powerful level draining and enchantment abilities. Nothing honks a DM off more than a player having an unlimited supply of charm persons.
Most will, instead, suggest that you play a refluffed tiefling, taking the bard or enchanter class to emphasize your innate mind-whammying mojo and excusing the discrepancy as "you lost most of your fiendish powers when you chose to rise from the pit".
In fairness, that's actually really viable in 5e; tieflings have a +2 to Charisma anyway, and the racial alternative feature "Devil's Tongue" lets you swap out your fiery SLAs for enchantment ones. Beg your DM for a racial feat to get wings, and you're good to go. Or limit your wings to cosmetic use. Or just go without.
- Type: Outsider (Native)
- +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +8 Charisma
- +2 Natural Armor
- Darkvision 60 feet
- Immunity to Poison
- Acid Resistance 10
- Cold Resistance 10
- Electricity Resistance 10
- Fire Resistance 10
- Damage Reduction 5/Magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/Magic (if HD 12 or more)
- Spell Resistance: Creature’s CR + 11 (maximum 35).
- Gain 2 Claw Attacks and 1 Bite Attack, inflicting the standard damage for the creature's size.
- Gain a Fly speed equal to twice base movement speed with Good maneuverability, unless the base creature has a better fly speed already.
- Smite Good (Su): 1/day, as a Paladin of level equivalent to the half-succubus' hit dice
- Passion (Su): A half-succubus can inflict 1 negative level on a creature by grappling it. This ability can be used 1/day per Hit Dice. The save to remove one of these negative levels is equal to 10 + half-succubus' HD + half-succubus' Cha modifier.
- Change Shape (Su): Can assume the form of any humanoid creature of the same size, as if using the Alter Self spell, 1/day.
- Spell-Like Abilities: A half-succubus with Intelligence 8+ or Wisdom 8+ gains cumulative spell-like abilities determined by its hit-dice. Unless specified otherwise, all are usable once per day.
- Hit Dice 1-2: Darkness 3/day
- Hit Dice 3-4: Detect Thoughts
- Hit Dice 5-6: Unholy Blight
- Hit Dice 7-8: Charm Monster 3/day
- Hit Dice 9-10: Dominate Person
- Hit Dice 11-12: Blasphemy
- Hit Dice 12-14: Unholy 3/day, Greater Teleport
- Hit Dice 15-16: Ethereal Jaunt
- Hit Dice 17-18: Summon Monster IX
- Hit Dice 19-20: Dominate Monster
- Challenge Rating: HD 4 or less, as base creature +2; HD 5 to 10, as base creature +3; HD 11 or more, as base creature +4.
The first colorized art for succubi, from Planescape.
Technically, she's only a half-succubus, but she takes after her mom, don't she?
Officially, she's an Erinyes, but come on, the resemblance is obvious.
How to avoid getting raped in your sleep by a succubus.
The succubi of Exalted are... different.
Given that the entire premise of the Monster Girl Encyclopedia is that it's a world where a succubus became the god-queen of all monsterdom and decided to turn all her subjects into monstergirls to share her love for human boytoys, you better believe that the succubus is well and truly represented. The succubus profile has undergone six different revisions so far, and there's a whopping twenty-one different monstergirls considered to be part of the succubus family, not all of which are Demon typed.
- Alice: A loli succubus native to Wonderland, whose mind is clouded to keep her perpetually innocent of what sex is.
- Alp: A gay man who was exposed to monster magic, transforming him into a tomboyish reverse-trap succubus.
- Amazoness: A tribe of human barbarians now turned into musclegirl warrior-women succubi.
- Banshee: A constantly crying monstergirl whose tears have the ability to bring back the recently deceased as an undead.
- Dark Elf: A brown-skinned elf who has fully embraced corruption, becoming an incestuous BDSM-freak.
- Dark Priest: A succubus cleric who tries to tempt people into embracing her philosophy of endless sexual pleasure by becoming either monsters or the spouses of monsters.
- Demon: A more manipulative and domineering breed of succubus, marked by her bluish-purple skin.
- Dhampir: A "half-vampire", born of the union between a vampire and a non-corrupted human man. They lack the arrogant tsundere attitude of their vampire mothers, and find it offensive, seeking to prick their egos wherever possible.
- Dwarf: Once a demihuman race, now converted almost entirely into toddler-like loli succubi.
- Elf: A demihuman race trying to resist being converted into their own strain of succubi.
- Fairy: Small, winged elves who have been corrupted into a succubus-like mentality.
- Kejourou: A Zipangu succubus strain distinguished by its masses of long, luscious, prehensile hair. Based upon an actual yokai.
- Kunoichi: A clan of succubus ninja.
- Leanan Sidhe: A fairy artist that inspires great artistic talents in those she takes a liking to.
- Lesser Succubi: Women who have succumbed to demonic corruption and become a weaker version of the succubus.
- Lilim: Elite succubi who were born directly to the Demon Lord.
- Nereid: An aquatic succubus strain.
- Night Gaunt: A succubus inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft's creatures. Turns their husband into a winged demon like creature that then attaches to her back, serving as her wings and molesting her at his leisure.
- Titania: The "queen of all fairies", a majestic and magical elf-like being who has become as corrupt as her underlings.
- Vampire: Arrogant, blood-drinking undead succubi.
- True Succubi Mamono
- Succubus-Corrupted Mamono
|The inhabitants of the Planes of Planescape|
|Upper Planes:||Aasimon - Angels - Animal Lords - Archons - Asuras - Eladrin - Guardinals - Lillend|
|Middle Planes:||Formians - Githzerai - Inevitables - Marut - Modrons - Rilmani - Slaadi|
|Lower Planes:|| Alu-Fiends - Baatezu - Bladelings - Cambions - Demodands - Erinyes - Hags |
Hordlings - Imps - Kytons - Marilith - Obyrith - Succubi - Tanar'ri - Yugoloth
|Transitive Planes:||Astral Dreadnought - Githyanki|
|Inner Planes:||Azers - Elementals - Genies - Grues - Mephit - Salamanders - Sylphs|
|Sigil:||Dabus - Cranium Rats|
|High-ups:||Archangels - Archdevils - Archfey - Archomentals - Demon Princes|