- 1 Weapons of the "x" factions feels redundant
- 2 Okay, we seriously need to archive this.
- 3 Why are we not popping up on search engines?
- 4 Deleting pages
- 5 Dark Mode
- 6 Plagiarism?
- 7 How to create a new page.
- 8 Does anyone have a link to the Rescue of Isha for OG Nobledark Imperium?
- 9 Trying to Crowdsource Rules for Tau UberHeresy
Old conversations have been moved aside to keep this page less cluttered:
- Talk:Main Page/2008
- Talk:Main Page/2009
- Talk:Main Page/2010
- Talk:Main Page/2011
- Talk:Main Page/2012
- Talk:Main Page/2013 Six years, jesus fucking christ
- Talk:Main Page/2014 Seven. This ride doesn't stop.
- Talk:Main Page/2015 EIGHT. The ride never ends!
- Talk:Main Page/2016 NINE. And we're still going strong!
- Talk:Main Page/2017 TEN Created out of order
- Talk:Main Page/2018 ELEVEN Look at us go
- Talk:Main Page/2019 TWELVE
You guys missed a few years.Fixed, now quit ur bitchin
- Talk:Main Page/2020 THIRTEEN Filling in teh gaps
- Talk:Main Page/2021 FOURTEEN Still rolling right along
Weapons of the "x" factions feels redundant
Searching for a specific weapon on say "Weapons of the Imperium Of Man" is a needless extra step in my eyes as the page it directs to will often already be a list of similar weaponry. Worst of these is probably Non-Firearm Weapons > Grenades & Explosives section as not only does it link explosives that are all in the same page it also has a link to the page. Personally id recommend linking the weapon types (boltguns, plasmas, etc) used by a faction rather than each weapon in its own category (sidearms, heavy weapons). And I am recommending this like a bitch instead of doing it coz I dont know how others feel about this nor do I know where one edits these Weapons of the x pages as my wiki editing skills end with fixing typos. -- VizMop (talk) 20:26, 1 january 2022 (UTC)
Okay, we seriously need to archive this.
- Agreed--A Walrus (talk) 16:25, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
- Definitely. CoolGuy99 (talk) 16:27, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
- Begging you, Root.Someone else. (talk) 16:32, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
- I know this is going to be a band-aid solution, but this is a good moment to way-back as many pages as you can. Also, following suggestion from a /tg/ thread, whoever feels like they've wrote anything of value on .net should update .org page for that, because .net will be turned into a mirror. If you won't update on .org, .net will get overwritten by current version from .org. No idea if this will actually reach fruition, but better safe than sorry.
- The Patreon sounds like a good idea on the surface but do you really think it will change anything or will root still be absent? I mean it has been hard enough getting spammers blocked sometimes so I don't think it's gonna change anything if a small sum of money is present too. I mean this as no disrespect, clearly this is a project that had ballooned into something way bigger than predicted and I totally get that it's mostly boring unrewarding work with people bitching all the time but... root mate you don't even talk to us or ask for help with it! We want this place to thrive too ya know. --Tvrfvby (talk) 00:37, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
- PLEASE! I hate having the site down! Konrad13 (talk) 02:04, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
I agree, this was a bit absurd and the ultimate issue is a lack of administration. I'm not the most technically literate gal but even I was supprised there was no backup or even simple things like advertising (surely there are plenty of tabletop gaming companies that would buy adds here) to offset the costs of some proper backend care and attention. Clearly there are people out there who for whatever reason or no reason at all like to knock this site offline and clearly it's really not hard to do (I had a little poke myself earlier and yeah it's not great) and without the administration even showing signs of being alive it's up to us I guess. The mirror seems a good idea, maybe we'll all start moving over there anyway given this place could fall over at any minute! --Tvrfvby (talk) 00:27, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
I also agree with all the comments above, and well, I guess I'm venting here - but not only am I dismayed that all the edits since March are just *gone* but also that there has been zero communication from admin about this or even about the downtime in general. Sure I could go and edit the various other 40k wikis out there, but they are just so bland. I prefer 1d4chan because the comments and commentary actually have character. I really hope the admin are reading this so that something can be done to mitigate future issues. --Cavgunner (talk) 03:45, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- Just to be clear: I doubt any edits are missing, because the site was down for multiple weeks; looking at the archives, I see myself noting the wiki was down on the Discord server on March 28th, and my last available edit before the outage was late on the 27th, so I have good reason to think that at most, a very few edits were lost. That being said: There's an obvious plan that anyone can do (publicly available nightly/weekly backups), but I'm not certain how much it would cost, in effort or time. Saarlacfunkel (talk) 04:30, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Someone claiming to be the site admin did post updates on /tg/ proper, blaming the ongoing outage on a combination of personal schedule conflicts and the atomic dumpster fire that is MySQL. The second part holds water, at least--I hate MySQL, it's a perfect storm of open source derp and database engine derp. There are a number of tools for backing up Mediawiki sites, and it'd definitely be good to at least make a database dump available to interested parties. Also, at the risk of getting a bit political, it's very likely that a number of countries are going to start pulling out of the public internet in the next few years and smart information distributors are thinking about decentralization sooner rather than later. Kiwix is worth looking at if everyone's cool with people having offline copies. --C
- I don't buy it. Who posts on 4chan but not on their own site? I'm operating under the assumption that it wasn't Root, for now. Someone else. (talk) 16:16, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
I agree, with Someone else, it's weird that it isn't posted about here at all in the first place, but to think it would be on another site and still nothing here? --Theohedd 4:54, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
I got a bit of a shock seeing the site disappear, if you guys don't mind me asking, why does this happen, this is like the second time this has happened i think. Is there not enough money to pay for the servers or something simmilar? Blajbara. (talk) 17:34, 01 May 2021 (UTC)
Archive as of 2021-07-24. Archives can be generated with WikiTeam's dump generator script on demand by users. I'm setting up a regular backup on my local servers, and will upload a dump to archive.org yearly / "latest whenever 1d4chan is down for an extended period"-ly. Anyone can run their own archive though, and should not rely on me to do so. --Shanix (talk) 23:29, 31 July 2021 (UTC)
Why are we not popping up on search engines?
Ever since the return this site has been appearing on fewer and fewer search engines to the point that we don't even show up on Duck Duck Go anymore. Duck Duck motherfucking Go. Did we do something to piss off every single search engine in existence? Crazy Cryptek (talk) 20:54, 9 June 2021 (UTC)
When i asked about this site at google tech support they said 1d4chan intentionally prevents indexation. https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/117476950/google-does-not-index-1d4chan-org?hl=en maybe " User-agent: ia_archiver Disallow: /" in robots.txt did that?
Why the fuck do we have that code then?
- As Root explained in the Discord, this site is not what he wants people to see as the first result when they google their new hobbies for the first time. Someone else. (talk) 15:02, 27 July 2021 (UTC)
- If you go on the discord and talk to root, that's basically his intention. He's not going to shut it down, but he kinda wants it to die. --Piroko (talk) 05:46, 28 November 2021 (UTC)
- Eh, direct links and embeds to the site still work and I've seen them posted in plenty of sites and forums (both old and recent). Also, root posted in the Discord a while back stating that site analytics have been stable (10K uniques a day, 110 a month, roughly) post-delisting. While I may not entirely agree with root's reasons for delisting the site (and honestly think it's a little overblown as an issue), I think the site should be okay (new users-wise, at least) so long as people keep finding and following links to here. --Ow, My Sanity. (talk) 20:52, 30 November 2021 (UTC)
- Why are you faggots tolerating that then. kick the retard out. - Butthurt Anon
- I really don't think we can kick him off a site he runs and pays for. Forking isn't going to get off the ground because this, at worst, is a storm in a teacup which most people don't care about. If you're really this butthurt over root delisting the site, try and convince him to do otherwise. --Ow, My Sanity. (talk) 17:06, 5 December 2021 (UTC)
Well this is fucking bullshit. Either close the site if you want it down, or don't, but stop pussying around. It's like a mirror of current state of /tg/ - everyone trying to kill it, with a silent approval from the moderation. Stop pussying around and either close 1d4 for good and if not, restore it to search engines.
Agreed! Jannies are ALWAYS the problem. In line with the complaint about Fandom Wiki botscrapers below, I clicked on a search result for what I assumed was a link to an article here, only to end up on the loathsome mirror! A moment before I submitted a complaint to Google about upranking it over the actual wiki, I came here to see if there was already a furor, only to discover Root did this INTENTIONALLY!? Fix your shit, if you don't, people are going to be funneled into that septic tank. 2600:1700:DA90:2AB0:24F8:1DB:C6EE:AA29 13:11, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- Jannies? What? What janitors do you think this site has, new guy? Someone else. (talk) 13:25, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- Yes, he did it deliberately. You're welcome to go on the discord and repeat the same arguments over again, but it won't change anything. The editor base is broadly in consensus that forking is a non-starter as long as the site is up. We have backups being made to facilitate a fork, but we won't go nuclear until and if Root pulls it down, because a fork while the site is still live would fail. --Piroko (talk) 17:48, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
Hey, I wrote the Titus Marines page but I decided to delete it because it was shit can anyone help?
Did anyone realize that there is a Fandom page with articles ripped straight from 1d4chan? Just found this out by accident. Is this something that should be acted on?
If they want to fork our wiki to the retarded, privacy intruding, mainstream, corporate shilling, and gay fandom.com platform, then they can go right ahead, anyone who prefers that platform to an independent(ish) wiki is better off there than here polluting our space.Tsabo7 (talk) 09:24, 20 November 2021 (UTC)
Forked to fandom, of all places? Christ, Root, if you wanted the content here to be less visible, inaction really dogged us here. Shame -Anon
How to create a new page.
I want to create a page for my home brew and I don't know how.
- Create a link to the page. It will show up red in the text. Then, just click it and start filling it out. IF you want to make a homebrew, you should use the Setting namespace. Someone else. (talk) 13:42, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
- How do I do that?
What is the setting namespace?
- Namespaces are specific parts of a wiki's page structure. For instance, if you're doing a writing project, you might use the Story: namespace. IF you're making a homebrew RPG, you can use the Setting: namespace.
- As an example, I used the Setting: Setting:TriSector namespace to make my 40K homebrew. When making a new page in a namespace, just make the start of the link have that word and colon after it. Your link here, the Nobledark one, won't work, since it has a colon in it. If you wanted to make a page with that name, you could use the link Setting:Nobledark_Imperium_Reforged instead.
I fixed the URL with what you said.
Trying to Crowdsource Rules for Tau UberHeresy
Okay this is Mozhart, you've probably seen his art at https://www.artstation.com/mohzart He took a concept I once saw banned from the space marine creation rules and made it AWESOME Dude deserves some credit for his sick artwork and unleashing the legions of weeaboo commie ubernoobs demanding Tau Space Marines. I suck at all this wiki, so I need advice on how to make a Tau Space Marines page, make it uberheretical, and try to harness /tg/'s unholy powers to generate some rules for these beautiful abominations. If you see any ugly pages that is me trying to solve computer. Prior heads up. Best case I see is we troll a lot of people by taking something stupid, making it look cool, and making a bunch of smooth brains obsess and kitbash themselves into goo. Appreciate comments or being told to get lost.