Talk:Simple D6 - Third Edition
Im thinking about changing the original probablity chart:
Thoughts? The statistics are the same but instead of the chance to get that result, they are changed to get "at least" that result, making it easier to see through the actual probabities if you are not used to look at such a table
- I would add something to the table to explain it, but yeah, it makes a lot more sense than the original. -Windows2000Pro|Talk 01:28, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
If we have a modified version of the simple d6 system, like I have an alternate level progression/character creation system for simple d6, should we post it as a modified version of simple d6, or link it here?
I love the system as it is very easy to teach to newcomers to pen and paper roleplaying, but the level progression is absolute ass. Largely because it doesn't exist in a fleshed out form, so I made my own.
Feel free to do as you please. I agree that the progression isnt excatly stellar but I chose to do it like this, partly because the system originally was intented for very short adventures (a few sessions) and partly because I was very adamant in keeping it on a single page when i made it because it doesnt look as scary to newcomers.
And thanks for the comment.
Some Custom Sd6 Stuff
I've really taken a liking to the system and while I've only run one game so far (about sandwich-making and kicking ass, I was really fucking bored at work) I think it's pretty fucking solid. I've been writing up a slew of stuff, including some optional rules and shit for abilities/powers, slightly different level progression, and some more low/medium/high fantasy add-ons with some basic info to help GM's. I think I'll post what I put together at the bottom of the main page. Remoon101 (talk) 20:31, 2 February 2018 (UTC)
- On version 3.5 right now currently. Negative/Descriptive Qualities I stole from FATE Aspects (Aspects being applicable in a negative fashion to enemies, yourself, the environment). Since it works in mostly the same way as regular Qualities it doesn't take a large leap to understand it. Being able to take it for extra experience also adds more depth to the Characters.
- Teamwork was a small optional rule from 3.2 that I just folded into the main mechanic since I had room. Probably pops up when trying to make a combined intimidation roll, pushing open a door together, etc.
- I left Powers open ended just like in the original 3rd Edition since 3.2 had optional rules but not enough room (on one page) to really explain the whole balanced Ability/Power system I had thought through. The full Power system should be on its own page as an optional thing, rather than part of the main rules.
- The special actions allows and encourages some more flexibility in what a character does in combat. It's not something that people wouldn't have thought of on their own but this way it puts it out there as a mechanic to be explored, just like how I am thoroughly exploring Power mechanics.
- All in all a decently fleshed out exoskeleton for SD6 with comprehensive, scalable Powers and other minor rules clarifications and mechanics will probably be near Risus amount (4 pages). But with this single pager I've added some neat ideas while keeping to one page and not necessarily limiting modifications to the system Remoon101 (talk) 04:51, 25 February 2018 (UTC)
- Updated the one-pager three point five with my most satisfactory version yet. I managed to tidy up the structure of the page and re-order things to make more sense.
- Added the missing Initiative clause, so people won't have to look for a Q&A in order to work out rolling order for combat
- Made a new Types of Tasks section to organize the difficulty levels/types of tasks, and also ordered it properly in level of difficulty.
- Rolled Special actions/rule of awesome into special advanced tasks. Streamlines it within the new "Types of Tasks" section (which I think looks a lot better than having it all under Task Resolution).
- Edited Negative Qualities to make more sense that Negative Qualities can impose different penalties than just giving enemies a D6 to screw you over.
Finally hammered out the Powers system, and mostly fixed the issue of imbalance between melee casters and ranged/magic casters. While this doesn't guarantee prevention of broken powers, Powers are created between players describing what their power is like and the GM translating that with PP and the final stats so anything that wouldn't fly wouldn't be allowed anyway. All in all took quite a while to get this far, and I'll be continuing to create powers with the system and see what needs to be tweaked and such in the future.
Using this Power system isn't required, but it's a way to include superhuman or nearly beyond human special abilities with the feature of being able to scale it up as needed. Before this system, powers were a little bit less powerful and not all that much stronger than just doing a standard action with your Qualities and Skills. Now they generally pack a much stronger punch for their cost.
I'll probably be working on a Wealth, Crafting, and a few other optional systems for SD6 before calling it quits. The Powers was the biggest one I was working on. Remoon101 (talk) 20:22, 1 March 2018 (UTC)
- Just leaving this here for archive purposes, as currently 3.65 is what I'm on in terms of creating all of these add-ons for a super simple system that are unnecessary but helpful if you so happen to want to have options for a car chase, horse chase, phoenix wright showdown, a large scale skirmish, complete simple battlefield simulator, power generator and universal economic/item system. Like literally all of this shit is optional, but the best part is that (at least I think) it's all universally applicable within the Simple D6 System so that no matter what setting, those modules could potentially find a place. Does it overcomplicate the system? Nope, what you need to play is all on the front page, but it gives options for having those components present.
- I'm sickened of how much time I'm wasting on this but also really satisfied. Now I just need some people to run a game using some or all of these modules with. Also, I need to make an extended GM-only packet to give suggestions on how to modify the game and optional parts to better fit what they want to run. There's also probably several more extra add-ons that I could design to increase the flexibility of the system a bit more but in general I think I've respectably updated the based 3rd Edition's front page while adding on to it unobtrusively.
- It does beggar the question, why run Simple D6 with these components when you could easily run another system that's far more fleshed out and intuitive in design? Bitch because it's simple AF and while everything generally plays on the basic Aspect/Quality/Skills it's still generally easy to teach and run. The optional Powers system is basically a build-a-bear workshop for scalable Powers, etc. But again, I need to test this stuff out if possible, and I have very, very little DM experience. Remoon101 (talk) 23:28, 8 March 2018 (UTC)
Finished 3.75 which is just the basic rules with Negative Qualities, Initiative and Roll-Off's added in to the front page as well as some extra add-ons for the most basic questions like "what kind of gear can my character get?" "I want money" "What can I do with Powers?". The Tactical Combat system took a good bit of thinking to put together but I'm satisfied with it currently and I think it provides a good feel for advanced combat that can mesh with the Powers system well. For the longest time offensive melee was kind of merked but I finally balanced it out with the Melee Rush rule as well as making sure that ranged isn't too strong.
Updated 3.75 to 3.85. Negative Qualities are now Flaws, and are part of character creation. I managed to fully separate Task and Combat Resolution cleanly and even slotted in an example for both. Otherwise the Basic Rules page is the same.
Pared down Equipment, Wealth and Advanced rules to one side. Tactical Combat is still basically the same. Added Custom Qualities and Flaws.
Powers page is still the same, though I am still working on advanced powers with more options for building your own unique power.
GM Basic resources page is more fleshed out with a more comprehensive difficulty table. Removed unnecessary Character progression section, fleshed out the Flaws experience reward and added the probability table for reference. Remoon101 (talk) 13:56, 22 April 2018 (UTC)
Updated 3.85 to 3.86. Clarified Flaws in the basic one-pager to just give +D6 to your enemies in the same way that Qualities give +D6 to you in combat.
Limited attack option in Tactical Combat to any kind of damaging Action from any source. Multiple attacks are pretty deadly and are limited to Powers or special circumstances. This also gives non-damaging Powers/Items a chance to shine since they can be used separately from an attack.
Moved Custom Qualities/Flaws and replaced it with the Task Series optional mechanic which I was a big fan of for crafting and training.
On the Powers page I shortened some sentences as well as re-did the Area of Effect attack option to be a spread-able DS damage thing. Doesn't require multiple targets to use anymore. Also added in Area modifier (x2 PP) for Debuffs and Buffs. Added Create Illusion/Impassable terrain and Immobilize PP options.
Clarified that experience gains should be based on relative difficulty, not pure stats since the Character Progression (asides from scaling Powers) doesn't use scaling xp costs. Expanded and fully fleshed out several balanced melee/ranged options from pure ranged to pure melee and two Shield (+1 HP) options. Removed Suggested Qualities and Skills and replaced with Custom Qualities/Flaws from the second page. Removed Flaws/Experience chart and just limited xp gains to +2 max for simplification. Remoon101 (talk) 14:13, 11 May 2018 (UTC)
I've added enough and changed some of the base mechanics enough to fork it into a new rpg essentially. Most of the base mechanics remain the same but I've considerably overhauled everything from format to other things including the advanced modules I was working on the above.
I would consider it to be the direct if not spiritual successor to Simple D6 3rd ED
Does anyone have the character sheets? The links aren't working...
- I tried to dig it up using Google-fu but it seems like they're gone. I'm still working on my revamped version but if I get around to it I'll see if I can't make something up and upload it here. Remoon101 (talk) 16:11, 12 March 2018 (UTC)