What's with the Bolded Words in this article? It is nonstandard here but I actually like it. -NP
- Absolutely nothing other than some previous editor's inappropriate use of formatting. --Newerfag (talk) 00:37, 10 October 2018 (UTC)
Dreadwing vs other Wings
The suggestion was made that the Star Phantoms could be descended from the Deathwing; this is particularly unlikely for a number of reasons:
- The fact that the Star Phantoms are descended from the Dark Angels at all is in-universe speculation. The follow-on assertion that they are connected to the Dreadwing is based on available evidence that they A: share the same iconography, and B: they share the old Destroyer predilection for indiscriminate destruction and bombardment. There is no absolute requirement that they be descended from the Dreadwing or Dark Angels at all, but that does not create a situation based on "If not Dreadwing, then must be Deathwing or some other wing" since the above evidence would then have to be discounted.
- The Deathwing have already been accounted for amongst the other Unforgiven chapters. It would introduce more complications if the Star Phantoms were somehow Deathwing, since it would imply that that Deathwing aren't actually Deathwing; or are Deathwing but somehow different from other Deathwing. This creates an identity crisis for everyone involved. While this is not outside the realms of possibility, it would take some spectacular narrative switcharoo that the authors at GW are probably not interested in doing, particularly for a lesser known chapter that really only gets screen time during the Badab War. The lore of the Star Phantoms really isn't that deep.
- In earlier editions, while the Star Phantoms did have a chapter tactic that was reminiscent of Deathwing Assault, that does not prove anything. Mechanically their Terminators and Veterans are no different from any other Codex Chapter. The Star Phantoms supposedly have a higher than average number of Land Speeders, so why not be descended from the Ravenwing instead? Or some other lesser known -Wing?
- The fact that they are victorious despite all odds should not be taken as evidence that they are somehow as stubborn and intractable as the Deathwing. This is a common trope for space marinces in general. In fact, that Star Phantoms have a complete disregard for their own lives, place more respect on the dead rather than the living, AND routinely suffer egregious casualties (the noted occasions both being between 60%>70%) flies in the face of the actual Deathwing who rarely have their casualty rates mentioned in fluff, and are actually said to be over-strength, and cannot afford to lose so many suits of Terminator Armour by being so haphazard with their lives.
Occam's Razor suggests the outcome with the least speculation is the most likely explanation. What is known is that they are thought to be Dark Angels successors and they share the Dreadwing symbol, anything else just complicates things. --Dark Angel 2020 (talk) 09:09, 2 December 2018 (UTC)