Warhammer Army Project/Amazons
- 1 Amazons: Warhammer Army Project, 9th Edition Tactica
- 2 Why Play WAP Amazons
- 3 Army Special Rules
- 4 The Lore of the Serpent
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Army Units
- 7 Regiments of Renown
- 8 Building Your Army
- 9 Tactica
- 10 External Links
Amazons: Warhammer Army Project, 9th Edition Tactica
Created by Mathias Eliasson, this project was a homebrew attempt at giving many of the units, nations, and factions that never got Armybooks of their own (and those left behind and never got one in 8th Edition) such a thing.
It should also be noted that Eliasson is constantly updating his work, so don't expect this page to stay current forever. If anyone wishes to actually update this page and the items that need it, later on, go ahead.
Why Play WAP Amazons
You love the idea of leading hot, badass jungle women to battle.
- Mobile; if your battlefield includes a lot of trees, you can guarantee you'll be moving around faster than almost anyone that isn't the Wood Elves
- You excel at running down broken enemy units.
- get ancent laser weapons that can punch through heavy armour.
- Most of your army can only have light armor at best, and many have no armor at all.
- with no armour, missiles rain is painful, and expensive are forcefields.
- You can't dodge. In Mathiass' big update wave the Amazon update was just before the rulebook update that added in the dodge special rule so the army that you would expect to have the most dodge saves has zero, (it should also be noted that Mathias has said the he might return to the Amazons once the all the other factions have got their updates, though that won't be for awhile.)
Army Special Rules
- Garland Warfare: Amazons have a culture that relies heavily on capturing defeated enemies for sacrifice. All models with this rule may re-roll the distance they pursue a broken enemy from combat. As such, it does not help you win as you still have to break the enemy first but help remove a problem unit before they get a chance to rally.
- Also note that, because your cavalry has Garland Warfare when pursuing, they have a rerollable 3D6. very likely to catch end be better next combat.
- Guerrilla Tactics: if neither side breaks in combat, you can Retreat instead of combat reforms (must still pass a Ld test if you lost that round). Enemies can't Pursue, fleeing through your doodets don't cause panic, Auto-rally next Compulsory Movement Phase (get to reface when you do so), and then can shoot with a move penalty.
- another way caught Skirmishers run from fights.
- as barely armored human faction, your not dominating most matchups, most units have Ranged weapons which you can use next turn.
- if used on opponents turn, have a holding unit with spears disengage so the shooting units can hit the target your next turn and the holding unit can body check them.
In addition to the above, almost every unit in the Amazons army has the Forest Strider rule.
The Lore of the Serpent
- Lore Attribute: Spirit Walk: Whenever a spell from the Lore of the Serpent is successfully cast on a friendly unit, the gains +D6 to their Movement value and do not need to take any tests for Dangerous Terrain until the start of the caster's next magic phase.
- Serpent's Strength: (5/10) Augment. The Priestess and the unit she is with gains +1 Strength until the start of the next turn. Can be cast with a 10+ casting value to affect all friendly units within 12".
- Singing Wind: (5/8) Direct Damage. The Priestess unleashes a Strength 3 Breath Weapon. She can cast it with an 8+ casting value to make it S4 instead.
- Wendala's Maelstrom: (7/14) Augment. Affects all friendly units within 12"; until the start of the caster's next magic phase, all missile attacks against affected units suffer a -1 To Hit penalty. By using casting value 11+ instead, the spell affects all friendlies within 18".
- Shield of Thorns: (8/16) Augment. Until the start of the caster’s next Magic phase, any model in base contact with the Priestess and any unit she is with will be struck by a single Strength 4 Hit at the start of the Amazon close combat phase. By casting with a 16+ casting value, the spell also affects all friendly units within 12".
- The Living Jungle: (8/11) Magic Missile. Range of 18", causes 4d6 Strength 2 hits. By casting on an 11+ casting value, the range is increased to 36".
- Embrace of the Serpent: (11/13) Direct Damage. Remains in Play. All models in a targeted unit within 18" take a Strength 3 hit. For every turn (friend and foe) the spell is active, all models in the unit suffer another Hit each at the end of the Magic phase, with the Strength of the Attack increasing by 1 every turn. By casting it with a 13+ casting value, the range is increased to 36".
- Siren's Dream: (13/15) Hex. Until the start of the casters next turn, all enemy units within 12" suffer a -1 penalty to Movement, Strength, and Attacks, down to a minimum value of 1. By casting on a 15+ casting value, the spell affects all enemy units within 18" instead. This spell has no effect on enemies that are Immune to Psychology.
High Age Artifacts
Unlike the Treasures of Amazonia, these represent the various pieces of archeotech that the Amazons jealously guard. Comparatively common, these items can be taken by characters without dipping into their magic items points allowances. In fact, many units are able to take these toys for themselves as well!
Note that can be applied to all of them: Though high-quality items, they can be large point sinks for non-characters who unless they have Amulets of the Moon will go down very quickly to ranged fire. On characters, though these can be the Gods' gift to women as they can be purchased without eating up the characters Magic Points allowance.
Sunstaff: Implied to be some kind of laser weapon, the Sunstaff is a projectile weapon with a range of 24", Strength 4, Quick to Fire, Magical Attacks and Armor Piercing (2). A very good anti-armor ranged weapon that makes mincemeat out of heavy infantry.
Claw of the Old Ones: A mystical blade that glows white-hot and which cuts through armor as if it were paper - probably a Power Weapon. It's a melee weapon with S+1, Magical Attacks, and Armor Piercing (2). These will cut through heavy infantry quite nicely. On your characters, this is a decent melee weapon that will free up your Magic Items Allowance.
Sun Gauntlet: A smaller bizarre weapon that can be used both in melee and at the range. As a pistol, its Range 12", Strength 4, Quick to Fire, Magical Attacks and Armor Piercing (2). As a Pistol, you also get an additional shot on charge and a punch in melee. A weapon that combines a short-range Sunstaff with extra attacks. Ok if you want Magic blade and gun, or go Javelin & 2 Hand Weapons for discounts.
Amulet of the Moon: A refractor field, the bear of a Moon Amulet has a 5+ Ward save against Missile Attacks, and inflicts a -1 penalty on To Hit rolls made with missile attacks. Adds a moderate amount of protection to help units equipped with it reach combat more intact. Very good against gunline armies for your troops. On characters however this broken, combine it with a good Ward save Talisman and you have a character that is only going to be killed by melee.
Treasures of Amazonia
Star Sword: Magic Weapon 80pts. It's a lightsaber. Seriously, it's an energy-bladed sword that darts around with preternatural speed to strike a foe and block incoming enemy attacks. Gives the bearer the Always Strikes First, Ignores Armor and Parry (6+) special rules. A pretty neat sword that will be useful against heavily armoured enemy Heroes.
Bright Staff: Magic Weapon 50pts. This is a more powerful kind of energy blaster weapon. a Sunstaff, Range 30", S4, Quick to Fire, Multiple Shots (D6), and Armor Piercing (2). The Queen of the Sunstaff. It costs 40pts more (35 for a Matriarch, and to much more for Priestess) than a regular one for an extra 6" of range and on average 1-2 shots more. Its random nature may even leave you with fewer shots on a turn when you need them. Skip for the most part but on a cheap Mistress, it can work.
Skypiercer: Magic Weapon 25pts. An enchanted bow that launches burning arrows that can punch through multiple foes at a time. Has Range 30", Strength 5 and the Flaming Attacks rule. Additionally, if it hits, it strikes all models in its range in a straight line. A cheap Magic Bolt Thrower that does not suffer degrading S for every model it wounds. Put the bearer on a fast mount and try and get to the enemy lines flank, if you do this you can get an ungodly number of shots. Beware of hitting your own girls as well.
Crystalline Armor: Armour Weapon 35pts. Fashioned from mystical crystals that fell in a meteorite, this armor is light and flexible when the bearer needs to move, but durable against blows, and can even safely dissipate enemy magic. This is Magic Medium Armor that anyone can wear. For every spell successfully cast upon the bearer or the unit she is with, the Amazon player gains an additional Power Dice or Dispel dice to their current pool. This can be pretty useful if you are placing the bearer in a Death Star that is going to receive a lot of Magical attention from both sides as each turn you can probably get 2 or more free dice from this helping you have a long-lasting magic phase.
Shield Amulet: Talisman 40pts. A powerful, if unreliable, force-field generating device. For every Wound the wearer suffers, roll a D6. If this number is equal to or higher than the Strength of the Attack, the Wound is nullified. Grants you a 4+ Ward save only against S3 attacks this will not be worth it against armies with S4+ troops like Ogres or WoC. If you bring this make sure whoever is wearing it is only pointed at light infantry, otherwise a skip.
Magic Feathers of Natalina: Talisman 50pts. An enchanted headdress that simultaneously projects a field of flickering, unstable colors when the bearer is in motion and heightens their reflexes. Enemies must re-roll successful rolls To Hit in close combat and with missile weapons against the wearer. In addition, she gains the Ward save (6+) special rule. Combine with an Amulet of the Moon to make ranged attacks unless, though such a combination may be overkill as very few enemies will even target the bearer of such a combination. Though this said a Serpent Priestess could benefit from this.
The Cobra Staff: Arcane Item 30 pts. Bound Spell, Power Level 3. The Cobra Staff contains a magic missile with a range of 18" that causes 2D6 hits. These hits always Wound on a 4+ with the Armour Piercing (-2) special rule. Sun Staff Magic Edition. A pretty good Bound Spell that can grant an L1 Priestess a whole lot of ranged death.
Elixir of Life: Enchanted Item 50pts. A bottle of the precious immortality elixir that the Amazons so zealously guard; in battle, it is a powerful restorative. It grants the bearer the Regeneration (6+) rule and automatically restores one wound suffered earlier in the battle at the start of each turn.
Blue Stump Brew: Enchanted Item 20pts. A special cocktail of physically enhancing drugs prepared by the Amazon priestesses. One use only. The brew may be drunk at any time. Roll a D6; this is the number of points the character may increase her characteristics. She may freely divide them between several different characteristics if she wishes. The effects of the brew last until the start of the character’s next turn. Now, this is a good item for Melee Mistresses sure it is random but at 20pts you only need a 2+ for it to have been worth it and the fact you can decide which characteristics you buff makes it incredibly flexible.
Jaguar Standard: Magic Standard 50pts. The unit carrying the Jaguar Standard gains the Frenzy special rule. In addition, they take their Break Tests on 3D6, discarding the highest result. Good on large Tarpit units that you need to hold the line at all costs.
Lords & Heroes
- Thalestris, Queen of Amazonia: Your obligatory "supreme leader of their civilization who also happens to be a mega-tier arse-kicker" character. Thalestris, as her title suggests, is the current ruler over all Amazonia and this is reflected in her rules; all Amazon friendlies within 12" are Immune to Psychology, but if she gets killed, your whole army suffers a -1 penalty to break checks for the rest of the game. Luckily, she wears the Crown of the Amazon Queens, a talisman that gives her a 4+ Ward Save and Immune to Psychology, which goes well with her Ld 10. She wields the Sword of Rigg, a magic weapon that ignores armor, does D3 wounds per hit, and can potentially destroy magic weapons wielded by enemy characters (for each hit, roll a d6; on a 4+, their magic weapon is wrecked). She also carries the Pendant of Delmair, which lets her choose to respond to losing a round of combat by turning into a were-jaguar for the next round. In were-jaguar form, she loses the powers of the Sword of Rigg, but she gains +1 Strength, +1 Toughness, and the Cause Fear, Hatred and Frenzy special rules.
- Lwaxana, Curse Witch of Blue Stumps: Your obligatory uber-caster character, Lwxana is a hideously ancient Amazon priestess who functions as a level 4 wizard using one of the following Lores: Shadows, Death, the Serpent. She carries the Blue Nightshade Dagger (magic weapon with Poisoned Attacks that auto-wound on a 5+ to hit), the Amulet of the Great Toad (before making a dispel check when a spell is cast against Lwaxana or her unit, roll a D6; on a 4+, the spell is nullified), and the Staff of Retribution (Bound Spell, Power Level 4; magic missile with a range of 24" that causes D6 Strength 5 hits, but you need to roll a d6 each time you use it, and on a 1 you're out of mojo for the rest of the battle). She also has the special rule/equipment of Voodoo Dolls, because why not? Instead of attacking normally, the caster may opt to pluck the hair of her opponent. Roll to hit as normal, if successful, she quickly takes a hair (or other small pieces) from an enemy model in base contact. She may then use her Voodoo Doll to curse the enemy model in the beginning of each her Magic phases. The enemy model must take a Strength test or suffer D3 Wounds, with no saves of any kind allowed. This has no effect on models with the Ethereal special rule.
- Princess Azura, the Ice Maiden: Thalestris' most favored daughter, an ultra-graceful warrior-dancers who specializes in fucking shit up. Her unique rule is Mesmerizing Dance, where non-psychology immune opponents fighting her in melee must make an LD test at the start of each close combat phase or be unable to attack her for that round. She carries the magic weapon Azure Fire (Claw of the Old Ones that inflicts a -1 penalty on enemies making close combat To Hit rolls, and which can be used as a ranged weapon in the shooting phase with Range 24", S5, Quick to Fire, Armor Piercing (2), Multiple Shots (D3)) and the Talisman of Rendar (5+ Ward Save and Immune to Flaming Attacks). Her standard special rules are Garland Warfare, Forest Strider and Stubborn.
- Melandra Hawkeye, Amazon Adventuress: The most courageous and adventurous Amazon ever, Melandra has been looting and pillaging her way across Lustria for ages. To represent this, she has the special rules Garland Warfare, Forest Strider, Scout, and Evasion: At the end of each combat she is in before break tests are taken, she may choose to move out of combat. Place her anywhere within 1" of the enemy unit she was fighting. She may move as normal in her next turn. She carries the magic weapon known as the Blade of the Hawk (+1 Attack, +1 To Hit), and the Pendant of the Old Ones (1/game, you can teleport Melandra to any spot on the battlefield you want; if she teleports to an enemy, she counts as charging).
- Pentheselia, The Mark of the Serpent: The most bloodthirsty and vicious warrior in all the Amazons, Pentheselia has dedicated her life to battling the depredations of slavers who invade her peoples' lands, giving her a particular hatred for men. With the standard special rules of Garland Warfare and Forest Strider, she also has the unique special rules of Savage Fury (Devastating Charge + Immune to Fear), Man-Hater (Hatred against all Male Human models) and Mark of the Serpent (Always Strikes First, enemies must re-roll successful To Hit rolls in close combat). She carries the magical weapon Throatslicer, an enchanted dagger that counts as an additional hand weapon and gives her a +1 bonus on her To Wound rolls, Killing Blow, and Parry (6+).
- Lysippe, The Mounted Avenger: An amazon whose mother and village were slaughtered by lizardmen, she hates that reptilian race above all others and has sworn herself to their extermination, riding atop her trusty jaguar steed, Blackfang. Garland Warfare, Forest Strider, Hatred (Lizardmen) and Lysippe's Warcry (when she charges a non-Undead, non-Daemon unit, she Causes Fear and inflicts a -1 penalty to their WS and BS skills). She carries Lizard Bane, an enchanted Spear that always hits on a 2+ and wounds lizardmen on at least a 3+, and her Horned Helmet, which grants her a 6+ Armor Save and the Frenzy rule.
- Matriarch/Mistress: Your standard Lord character, these are the respected nobility of the Amazon tribes, veteran warriors who have proven themselves over many years of battle. Same human leader stats. They a selection of gear to pick from including all the Sci-fi relics, Rare a character can hold a Great weapon and also shoot a bow when not in CC. THier weakness is they only have enchanted Light armour and a shield as their best defense. Recommended to give them some ward or at least an Amulet of the Moon if they stay away from CC.
- Serpent Priestess/Priestess: Your Lord tier mage, the Serpent Priestesses are the leaders of the mysterious priesthood that guides the Amazons, maintaining their arcane technology and managing their procreation. Wizard using the Lore of Life, Light, Beasts, the Heavens, or the Serpent. Armed with a hand weapon, they can take any one of the four High Age Artifacts.
- Jaguar: Because if there's anything as iconic to pulp fantasy as a savage yet beautiful jungle amazon, it's one with a big-ass jungle cat that she can ride on to battle. your warhorse with better melee stats.
- Culchan: The Warhammer equivalent of the Terror Bird, these are giant, predatory, flightless birds mean enough to make even jaguars and cold ones keep their distance. Jaguar with +1 movement.
- Cold One: Unlike the Dark Elves or the Lizardmen, the Amazons have to spiritually break cold ones before they will accept a rider, making them comparatively sullen and listless. have fear and an additional attack, but moves slower and potentially lose control if you fail a Stupidity test.
- Terradon: Flying Dinos. 12" speed, Join other Terradon or have a Mistress with Skypiercer and moon amulet impale units the long way.
- Amazon Warriors: At 4 points each these are your standard troopers, and the ones you will base most of your army around. Garland Warfare and Forest Strider. These girls have no armor except a shield. can trade the shield for Additional handweapons (probably your best option), or Bows or Slings. 6pt Bowwomen are fairly cheap and so a couple of units of them can support your army.
- Piranha Warriors: Specialist Amazons who serve their sisters as disruption. Mechanically, this makes them Amazon Warriors with Skirmisher and Ambush. They carry hand weapons and javelins, the latter of which they can upgrade to poisoned for +1 points per model. They can also freely swap their javelins for Blowpipes (AP attacks that can be thrown over things vs double your shooting and wound on 5+). Since they lack any sort of armor, you're going to need them parked behind some cover and make them harass an enemy unit.
- Eagle Warriors: Members of one of several elite warrior sisterhoods within the Amazons, the Eagle Warriors are elite fast attack troopers. These Amazons have the addition of Swiftstride, which makes running and charging more feasible. They carry spears, which they can bolster with either javelins or Sunstaffs (which means you can turn a core unit into a magical ranged firing line, though that bumps them up to 11 points per model), and can also take Amulets of the Moon and shields. These last 3 make Eagle Warriors your most survivable Core units but buying all 3 or even just Shields can make this unit a points sink but do help make the unit cost-efficient. Think through whether you really need that protection, if not take 2 Warriors for the same cost.
- Huntresses: The Amazon cavalry, elite warriors mounted on the backs of tamed jaguars. Garland Warfare, Forest Strider and Fast Cavalry. They can either go as flanking spears or pepper with spears or shortbows
- Jaguar Hunting Packs: Prides of savage jungle cats driven to battle by hardy Amazon beast-tamers. Garland Warfare, Forest Strider and Skirmishers. The beastmaster herself carries two hand weapons. they act as your war hounds, tying down a unit.
- Koka-Kalim: Drugged up religious fanatics who work themselves into states of bloodthirsty religious ecstasy before throwing themselves into battle. These girls probably will remind you a lot of Witch Elves: Frenzied and only wearing two hand weapons but they are also T4 to make up for being naked. Sun Gauntlets are largely overcosted (15ppm) for a suicide unit despite the magic attacks and firing off an armour melting blast then they charge. Amulets of the Moon are wonderful at only 2pts and will give this unit a better chance of making it into melee intact.
- Jaguar Warriors: Elite Amazon warriors who serve as the heavy infantry of the Amazon army. These particular sisters are given Immune to Psychology and 2 attacks. Outfitted with hand weapons and shields, they can replace their hand weapons with Claws of the Old Ones, and take light armor and Amulets of the Moon. All put together, They may not have that much protection, but They will stand their ground and trade evenly with the enemy.
- Totem Guardians: Mighty, halberds armed Amazon warriors who serve as the personal bodyguards of the Matriarchs themselves. Each one has Stubborn. They sport halberds, shields, and Light Armor, and can grab any of the fancy High Age weapons if that's not enough.
- your Hitting most enemy on 3/4+, wound infinity on +2, and an Ap -2 just from strength.
- Jungle Stalkers: The greatest archers in all of the Amazon forces. In addition to the standard Garland Warfare, Forest Strider and Scouts rules, they also benefit from Skirmishers, Multiple Shots (2) and Poisoned Attacks. Armed with a bow, they have no protection aside from the -1 to hit against shooting and optional Amulets of the Moon.
- Culchan Riders: Swift-moving and fearless Amazon warriors mounted upon the legendarily vicious Culchan birds. Like Huntress with Garland Warfare and Fast Cavalry but +1 WS, BS, and M9. They Fill the role of more elite flankers but they do take casualty when moving through trees, unlike Panthers.
- Cold One Riders: Whilst their Cold Ones may not be as savage as those of the Dark Elves and Lizardmen, these Amazon Warriors should not be underestimated. Garland Warfare, Forest Strider, Cause Fear, Natural Armor (6+) but also Stupidity. They carry hand weapons and shields, but can replace their hand weapons with either spears or Claws of the Old Ones, and can take Amulets of the Moon and light armor for their defenses.
- Terradon Riders: Amazon warriors who have learned how to discipline the great flying reptiles of Lustria, just like the skinks have. Garland Warfare, Forest Strider, Fly and Drop Rocks. They carry hand weapons and javelins that can be poisonous.
- Gorols: Unusually large, powerful and intelligent gorilla-like apes that have learned to fight alongside the Amazons, who respect them. Monstrous Infantry who are Forest Striders that Cause Fear. They can be upgraded with great weapons and light armor.
- Avatar of Rigg: A physical manifestation of the Amazon's hero-goddess. This single Monstrous Infantry type creature causes Terror, has a 4+ Ward Save, is Unbreakable and Unstable, and can issue one of the three Blessings of Rigg on all Amazon units within 12" at the start of each turn; Warfare (re-roll failed charges), Blood (gain Frenzy, or gain Hatred if already Frenzied), and Violent Death (gain Killing Blow).
Regiments of Renown
Building Your Army
- Light: hiting first and stoping charges and arrows is a importing thing for a glass faction.
- Life: make everything last longer. Resurrects your blinged elites at lv4.
- Beasts: boost your sisters to have bigger teeth and tougher hides + get a bolt thrower.
- Heavens: make it snow and freeze archers while zapping platemail. both are your big weakness.
- Serpent: give all you need, unit Speed, Strength, and protection.
- Shadows: Lwaxana only. Lower enemy stats
- Death: Lwaxana only. Dose a lot of killing.
How to dodge Arrows
Arrows will be a bane to deal with a lack of armour and Human states. target situation or using every scrap of armour and debuff is needed.
for a situation, take a duplicate of cheap units.
if your taking a tempting one-off than put as much armour and an Amulets of the Moon.
|Warhammer Army Project Tactics Articles|
|Forces of Order|
|Forces of Destruction|