A Warp Storm is one of the most potent psychic phenomena to ever grace the galaxy. They are caused by HUGE emotional outbursts, often resulting from massive Materium upheavals, such as war.
Warp Storms are a bleeding scar on the face of the material world. Their great size and nigh-endless supply of warp energy allows them to serve as bases for the Lost and the Damned and Chaos Space Marines, all the while transforming all in its proximity into mutants, as seen in the Great Beasts of Caliban. These massive, ceaseless EMP-analogues disrupt interstellar communication, lower visibility in the warp (much to the detriment of Navigators peering for the Astronomican), and in the most extreme situations toss entire fleets around, destroying them or making them arrive before they even set off, among other things.
Notable Warp Storms
- Great Rift: A massive chain of warp storms stretching across the galaxy, sawing the Imperium in half.
- Eye of Terror: Home of the surviving Traitor Primarchs and all traitor legions. As of 8th edition, also the starting point of the Great Rift.
- Maelstrom: Though EoT-sized, it is potentially less dangerous than the eye because of the relatively low numbers of CSM ... EXCUSE ME?! Now Marines originally confined to the Eye can strike from the Maelstrom.
- The Ruinstorm: Created by Emprah's ex-Herald. Cut off Ultramar during the Horus Heresy and caused the Imperium Secundus.
- Storm of the Empra's Wrath: Its formation destroyed the Imperial fleet sent to destroy Sebastian Thor. Thor's eventual success further decentralized the Imperium, leading to some extradimensional entities believing a certain furry mastermind is actually behind the storm.