The Ysoki are a race of 3ft to 4ft tall humanoid rats who serve as one of the core races of Starfinder, with a few mentions in Pathfinder before that. Originating from the planet Akiton, it's unclear what genetic relationship, if any, the ysoki share with the other "ratfolk" races that have been documented throughout known space, such as those who inhabited Golarion back before it disappeared. Whether they are the ancestral race of other ratfolk or just covergent evolution, in the modern era, almost every space-faring ratfolk culture has integrated itself into the overarching ysoki culture, since they have done the best at demanding and maintaining the respect of larger races.
The ysoki are a naturally chaotic, free-wheeling race, with a deep and abiding love of technology & gadgets, an ironclad pride that allows them to happily take on roles that other races would think of as demeaning, a friendly attitude, and intense loyalty to family and friends. In many ways, they fit the gnome's traditional role of hyperactive friendly tinkers, with their entry in the Starfinder corebook stating "quick to rile and quick to forgive, fond of laughing at misfortune (both their own and others'), ysoki can sometimes be exhausting, but they are rarely boring".
- Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength.
- Bonus Hit Points: +2
- Size: Small
- Type: Humanoid (Ysoki)
- Senses: Darkvision 60 feet
- Cheek Pouches: You can store up to 1 cubic foot of items weighing up to 1 bulk in total in your cheek pouches. Transferring an item between hand and cheek costs a Swift action. Disgorging all the contents of your cheeks is a move action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
- Moxie: When prone, you can stand up as a Swift action. You do not take the normal penalties to attacks or become flat-footed when Off-kilter. You receive a +5 racial bonus to Acrobatics checks made to tumble through the space of creatures that are at least 1 size category larger than you.
- Scrounger: +2 racial bonus to Engineering, Stealth and Survival checks.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Anthropomorphic: Replace Ability Score Modifiers with +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength
- No-Grav: Replace Ability Score Modifiers with +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
- Survivor: Replace Ability Score Modifiers with +2 Constitution
- Blindsense: Gain Blindesense (Scent) 30 ft. Replaces Darkvision.
- Natural Weapons: Gain a natural weapon that deals 1d3 Piercing damage. This gains Weapon Specialization like all other weapons. Replaces Cheek Pouches
- Scrappy: Gain +2 additional HP. While at 0 HP, you get +1 morale bonus to melee attacks. Replaces Moxie.
- Skilled: Gain +1 Skill Rank each level. This replaces Scrounger.
- Swarmer: You count as flanking an enemy while at least one other ally is adjacent to an enemy. Replaces Scrounger and Moxie.
- Wastelander: You gain +2 racial bonus to Survival checks and a +2 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against disease, poison, and anything that inflicts the sickened or nauseated conditions. Replaces Scrounger.
The squishiest of the PC races, the Ysoki still have quite a number of options available to them. The iconic Mechanic is a Ysoki, and the two work together quite well: high dexterity and intelligence are quite useful for a Mechanic, and the skill bonuses is icing on the cake. The high abilities realy help the Operative as well: while Ysoki Operatives are not that good in melee they make for powerful ranged combatants. Their Intelligence helps Technomancers as well, but do be wary that the Ysoki Technomancer is the squishiest build in the core game at 7 HP per level and 5+Constitution Stamina. The polar opposite is the Soldier, who has beefy stats and powerful ranged weapons which are helped by the Ysoki's Dexterity. They also fare well as Biohackers, using the Int variation of the class and relying on ranged needle weapons.